Retro footwear

Jonny69

Senior Retro Guru
Sooooo, back in the day..... what did you guys wear on your feet?

I've got quill pedals with chrome toeclips and pretty much the only shoe slim enough I can stuff in them are my Converse. Not usually a problem, but now it's rainy season they get very soaked, and they're freezing in winter because they're not at all windproof.

How about cycling shoes? Converse aren't really the same are they?

Mind you, BITD, cycling shoes weren't waterproof or windproof (full of holes generally) either and overshoes weren't heard of! We just had to man it out in the winter.

And get chilblains :evil:

And what was wrong with plastic bags?
Of course with toe clips you can nylon covers that fit around the clip and strap.
Spats! Look at Carradice for a jazzy version.

mattsccm said:
And what was wrong with plastic bags?

Didn't have them when I was a lad, hadn't been invented then.

And brown paper bags weren't waterproof either :roll:

However, TBH, we did try wrapping feet in newspaper before putting shoes on when it was dry but this only made the shoes tighter and reduced circulation so back to square one.

Best answer is to stay at home in front of the fire :twisted:

sidi cyclesport with white tennis socks over the top - that gave the kind of cool look like you were a top amateur in the manchester wheelers or EVEN a PRO like phil!!!

phil.jpg

:D

Sidi road shoes/plastic bags/red ski socks. A classic combo sandwich.

Then I got some blue Sidi bootees, which I still have. Thinsulate lined I think.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks all.

Quoc Pham is a bit pricey for me and I was after something more sporty.

The guy in France is just the ticket, and p&p is reasonable, if only I didn't have Sasquatch sized feet...

Back