Fog lights

So what do we make of the growing trend for brighter and brighter back lights on bikes? Hope have just upgraded their District 3 from 84 to 135 lumens. A 1/2 watt Smart light is similar brightness to a single car brake or fog light and the 1st gen District 3 (84 lumens) puts a 1/2 watt smart light very much in the shade. How long before Exposure and Lezyne upgrade their 70 ish lumen rear lights and the other manufacturers of big front lights start competing in this market. In fact there is nothing to stop you riding down the road with two 2500 lumen bike lights on the front of your bike and no dip beam. Any one know how bright the main beam on a car is?

I pulled right out of a t-junction last night and taking my final observation to the right I was dazzled grand style by a pair of the brightest lights I have seen on a bicycle. The user must have switched them to high power or something on seeing a car.

I have already seen rears that are verging on 'dangerously' bright, were you to be stuck behind them for any length of time.

When driving that does not bother me at all, I appreciate the reasons why cyclists need to be as bright as possible.

It peeves me to have cycles barrelling at me on the canal tow path or any trail with lights blazing so brightly that they blind us and our dogs.

There is a simple etiquette to driving or riding in less than ideal light. Slow down and avoid blinding oncoming vehicles/pedestrians.

I have a Exposure MAXX-D which has three brightness settings and flash, when out riding at night I cant be arse to fumble around looking for the button to adjust the brightness, I just stick my hand over the lense or tip the light to face the ground
I met up with two guys the other night who had some really bright lights! I dipped mine so not so not to blind them...they didnt, I think they got the message though as the Forest rang out to the shout of DIP YOU F'IN TOSSERS :LOL:

I love it on the motorway when you stuck in traffic and the prat in front of you is sitting there with their rear fogs on! my mate used to get out the van and walk up to their drivers window with a handful of paper towel and offer it them, when they asked what it was for he used to reply to clean the mist off your windows as its only foggy in your car and not out here, now switch em off ......... :LOL:

feetabix":2j09wmez said:
Why do grown men think its cool to drive around with side lights and fog lights illuminated in good visibility?....... :?

Because they have the sort of IQ figure usually associated with deep sea trench shellfish?

I agree being seen is a good thing, but modern lights can be so bright, especially helmet mounted ones that tend to shine straight at a car in a junction as you look at it......this removes a drivers awareness of others around you or behind you, and could easily lead to accidents where someone sees nothing other than you as they pull out......this is a problem!......when on my bike I use the dipping facility on my lights much the same as I would in a car.......we are in danger of over compensating because we are cyclists and adding to a problem, or increasing the aura of dislike toward us from other motorists..........I have been in a car when giving way to several riders all glaring high lumen led lights at me.......it can be over the top!... :D

Back