New member with Carlton supercourse

Started trying to polish the parts up. Not great photos (phone pics)
IMAG0137.jpg

IMAG0124.jpg

I have stripped the frame using Nitromoors and wire brush attached to electric drill. I have found a few places in the metal with pitting. Should this be filled in using normal car body filler or is there anything else that can be used.

The Carlton Super Course

Afternoon all,

Talking of The Carlton Super Course I have adopted a mint unused frame and forks dating back to 1980 and am planning to put her back to full working order with modern gears/brake systems/wheels etc... or is that the tongue of satan :twisted: ?! My lucky day as I have also adpted a Raleigh 531 spec from the mid 80's but forget the model...in full working
order too with all original parts....I daren't get her wet. More to follow although I think she was Team Raleigh Record in red !

Contemporary parts are acceptable, its your machine. Just dont turn it into one of those god damn awful fixies... :facepalm:

I look forward to it in is renovated state.

I have become a bit of a Carlton addict in recent months,

First a unknown Carlton, hand painted post office red, but OK, suspect an 80's, but parts date it earlier, £30 of Ebay, bought unseen, turned out to be a gem, really well looked after, 100% usable and in excellent, Campy hubs, weinman rims, stainless spokes, Sachs gears, a late but excellent Stronglight Chainset and Brooks saddle, bits individually worth more than the bike!

no 2 was a Carton Courette, again early 80's, all original, drops, Suntor gearing even down to the front tyre, still going strong after 30 years, clearly not used a great deal, but stored dry, a real classic, much loved by daughter, a bit of cleaning the cobwebs, again ebay £50

No 3 is a frame up restoration of 69 Giro D'Italia, (from a very neglected frame) being built up a period piece with a mish of period parts, (what I had, and what turned up!) the frame was clearly a frame only purchase originally as it lacks the braze ons and centre pull brakes of the catalogue examples of the time, and matches the frame only descriptions of the time, and with no clue as to its history or build, being built as period piece rather than accurate restoration

Attachments

• New Steed.jpg
    New Steed.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 465
  • Carlton-GDI-E2749 (2).jpg
    Carlton-GDI-E2749 (2).jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 465
Re: Carlton super course

Does anyone have any experience swapping out the freewheel for something a little more hill friendly? If so what is the freewheel thread (ie what is going to be a compatible freewheel), where can I get one and what will the suntour derailleur take in max teeth? Thanks for all help!

Back