the clown was in

02gf74":3w0axu3b said:
that status is in Chepstow?

nice colour scheme, you put the stickers on cock-eyed - other than needing to visit specsavers, was there a reason for that?

chepstow, eh? the decals are designed to make the sloping top tube more pronounced. it works. i have a subtle plan for the mk2 decals. ;)

THEFALLGUY":3pem30u9 said:
What travel are you running on the Fox 34s?
they are 110/140. i am finding myself running only 110mm, as i forget to change the travel. it is a compromise, as in 110mm they tend to feel too soft and sat too far in the travel, and at 140mm they feel too hard and not willing to sit into the travel enough when pushed.

in an ideal world i would leave them set in 110mm with maybe 5psi more, or leave them in 140 with 5psi less. but as i have the switch to hand i have them set to a happy medium.

my ten speed bits have started to arrive. i now have a chain, cassette and rear mech. as soon as the rf levers arrive i can go ahead and start to build the bike again.

oh, didnt i mention? its stripped for a clean. i am going to leave the tyres on and wheel bearings in tho, so its not a proper clean.

ooh, ooh, and i got some new pedals too.

DSC_0064.jpg

these were a gift from a mate who i spanner for. he had a good result at a w/c a couple of weekends ago, and destroyed two of the wheels i had just built him. so these are a thankyou.

So you can get different colours of ano for those Hope brakes? Only blue or different colours too? (I'm into red ano on black and chose the Formulas over the Hopes because I didn't like the green bits)

Nasty freewheel damage there too. :shock:

Not normally a fan of 29ers (not tried one but the look more than anything) but that looks really smart.

Did you sort out a warranty claim on the freehub?

i could never see the attraction of these silly clown bikes, then i rode one properly. seriously, its a revelation. i started putting my cotic soul back together today, so i can ride this week but the love has almost all but disappeared. it the cotic wasnt such a fantastic bike it would be on ebay already....

i may have said this before, but i wont be spending any more money on 26in technology.

in other news, the freehub has been returned but no reply yet. its a fairly simple process, theres a form on the hope website that you print off and fill in to send with the component. just done a quick scan of the workshop and theres currently seven pairs of hope hubs, an odd rear, six pairs of brakes, three headsets and assorted other trinkets. i do like hope stuff, and this wont put me off.

Well, i didn't update this thread properly did I....

Hope replaced the freehub body without question, and they sent me a stainless steel version for no extra charge. Very happy with that. At the same time i upgraded the whole drive train to ten speed, and added the new shadow+ rear mech. It is awesome, it eliminates chain slap, and the ten speed shifters are great as you can change down two gears at a time. the only downside is that even with the 11-36 rear fitted, I still feel that there aren't enough gears. Should really have bought the triple chainset to start with. I continued to ride the bike until late november when it just got too cold, and i lost interest.

Boxing day is the big annual ride locally, has been for a decade now, and the bike was great. I washed it that afternoon, which is rare nowadays as i usually leave it to fester a bit and wash it maybe every three rides or so. I must be really in love with it. :)

This week I stripped it down, and gave everything a good clean. Having got the cotic back i don't have to get it back together quickly so I am able to take my time.

All clean:-

DSC_00451_zps958bb577.jpg

DSC_00481_zps65e959d1.jpg

One thing that i have noticed is that the paint on the frame is particularly rubbish. It seems that every time I look i find new chips and areas where paint is flaking off. to start with it was noticeable on the carbon stays, as a chip would look worse than it was as it would lift the surrounding area and look twice as big as it was. But now it seems the black paint too is lifting in large pieces, mostly around the droupouts.

DSC_00441_zps3e56995d.jpg

I have touched the areas up with a halfrauds stick, and it looks fine. But i am a bit annoyed.

Back