GT Edge Aluminum

dirttorpedo

Senior Retro Guru
So I bought a used GT Edge in polished aluminum. Pretty good condition - the drivetrain needs a bit of tlc. comes with ultegra across the board. Only things that are not original I suspect is a profile designs quill stem and a Norco brand seat.

I'm a mountain biker typically and I think I bought the wrong size bike - it measures 55cm center of top tube to center of bb. I'm 6"1" with just over a 33 inch standover in my cycling shoes. I'm sure part of my problem is that I don't know what a racing bike should feel like and I think this bike could fit me if I could get a longer stem.

so I guess what I'm looking for here is some advice on how the bike should feel - since there seem to be a number of opinions about how to fit the bike. My intent for buying the bike is to go on fast sport rides around town so I want it to be comfortable for 2-3 hour road rides at a fast pace (for me). I have a buddy who's a bit shorter than me who might buy the bike off me and I see a 58 cm late 80's Canondale on Craigslist that sounds more suited to me.

Any help, moral support or friendly mockery will be welcome. '

I'm a poacher turned game keeper too (mtb to road bike). I'm also 6'1" and I ride a 56cm Raleigh, so I don't think you are a million miles out.

I have a 110mm stem on the Raleigh, where I would normally have a 130mm on an mtb, I also have the saddle higher, measuring from the ground to the saddle, than I do on my mtb's. Initially, the bike felt a little harsh and twitchy, but I just rode through that, and stuck to road training rides that I have done plenty of times before on mtb's, just to get used to the different handling. I am now doing longer rides of an hour and a half, and apart from some occasional discomfort in the back muscles immediately below my neck, everything is good.

Two things I should add. First, I dislocated my right shoulder about five weeks ago, so the muscle pain may well be related to that. Second, I find it more comfortable to ride with my ands on the level hoods and to balance my weight between my arms and backside.

I would mess around with the saddle and seat post height, and if you just can't get comfortable, sell the bike and get the 58cm.

What problems are you getting with the GT?

There is a difference between what we may call retro sizing (classic) and newer more compact frames. If the GT is of the first type, it may be too small. I'm 6' and ride a 57cm or 58cm frame.

Sit on the thing with hands on the hoods. Look down. Can you see the front hub? If yes, frame is likely too short/long. If no and the hub is hidden by the bars, the the bike is about the correct length.

Older roads bikes were also built to have less seatpost showing. If you have come from a mtb background this can look odd at first and you may be tempted by something too small.

Iwasgoodonce":3qpw98mb said:
Sit on the thing with hands on the hoods. Look down. Can you see the front hub? If yes, frame is likely too short/long. If no and the hub is hidden by the bars, the the bike is about the correct length.

Just been for a blast on the RSP, between rain showers and gales, and I checked this out.

Riding normally with my hands on the hoods I cannot see the front axle. I'm impressed.

As a newbie to road bikes, I think that's a cracking good tip.

I'm 6'2" and my GT Edge Alu is 58cm with a 110m stem and fits me perfectly.

I've got a 56cm Edge Ti and that's fine but with a 120mm stem.

Hey there.

I've only taken the bike for short rides so far. It comes with a Profile Design stem that is probably about 80mm (measured center of handlebar to front of bolt cap) with no drop or rise. When I have the seat at a good height I can see the front hub - I'd probably need another 2 - 3 cm of stem length to cover the hub.

I took it for a short 20 min ride yesterday and it feels ok - no significant discomfort. Feels pretty good on the top bar and on the brake hoods. I do feel fairly cramped down in the drops.

I do have the stem at its max extension and there is about a 4 inch difference in height between it and the seat. Any advice on how to figure out what size stem to get - I'm thinking a Nitto Technic to get a lot of extension potential, but the Nitto's (and classic Cinnellis) tend to be about 72 deg vs. the 90 deg of my profile.

Well I've been riding the bike for almost a year now - put around 700 km on it. I swapped the short quill stem for an adaptor and a 110mm stem. I also swapped the bars for a set of 46mm Nitto noodles. Longest ride so far is around 60k. I'm getting back pain and some hand numbness while riding so I definitely think its too small.

I'm going to keep my eyes open for a larger frame and see if I can get some $ for this one once I've done a parts swap.

Back