Late 70's Bob Jackson fixie/singlespeed (now finished)

I think they're really nice. Very light and very shiny. They aren't anodised though, so the winter salt attacks them something chronic.

I got some track bars for this a few weeks ago. They are basically drop bars with a lot more drop and curved tops, so there's no straight section at the top. I fitted them up and they looked damn cool but the bike was near unrideable!

IMG_7801.JPG

IMG_7800.JPG

IMG_7799.JPG

Even with them pulled out some way they are way too low. The bottoms of the drops are about inline with the top of the tyre when all the way down which looks cool but I can't ride it like that! I'll need a bigger frame to use these so they're back off and the bullhorns back on.

Well, that's what track 'bars do. They set you up for a good low position on the track. Try some Cinelli 64 or 66 road 'bars instead. 66s are deeper but you can set them up with the tops more or less level as they are squarer than the 64s.

Oh, and put the brake levers in a sensible position - that might make a lot of difference. ;)

Mark.

Jonny69":2ploxm88 said:
This is my now finished Bob Jackson.

What I've tried to do is make something that looks oldy and fast, with a few comtemporary touches. I know it's going to split opinions on here because fixies aren't popular. I mainly ride fixed because my commute is long and flat and I can make some good progress with fixed gearing. I normally run 52/18 with 27" wheels, but this chainring is 48T with 700c wheels, so I thought I'd give my 15T rear cog a go...

Currently looking like this:

IMG_7444.JPG

IMG_7453.JPG

Previous build pics:

IMG_7315.JPG

IMG_7317.JPG

IMG_7318.JPG

IMG_7319.JPG

IMG_7320.JPG

IMG_7322.JPG

Obligatory lgfss wide angle distortion arty shot:

IMG_7323.JPG

I've had the frame sitting around for a while since I bought it off Old Ned, and I've been trying to work out what to do with it without spending too much. It's a waste having it sat on top of the wardrobe so I decided to use up a few parts in stock to build a bike up. I built some wheels on track hubs a while back so I thought I'd use them and took the opportunity to buy some new track cranks to match. The bars are off another bike, cut down from drops and were sitting in the box ready to go, but need the bar tape wrapping back on. Brakes are non-aero Weinmann levers and some Cannondale calipers that I might change. Saddle is just a piece of junk and is to be replaced with a Flite or something like a 90's Selle. The pedals are temporarily borrowed off my Viscount.

Spec as follows:

Frame: late 70's Bob Jackson TT frame in special Columbus steel

Fork: plate type, matching the frame

Headset: Tange Falcon
Stem: 90's Raleigh
Handlebar: cut down and flipped Raleigh drops
Bar Tape: Italian make, perforated, can't remember

Brake Levers/Brifters: bare Weinmann, non-aero
Brake Calipers: late Cannondale (now early 90's Shimano Exage)
Brake Pads: unknown
Brake Cables: Wilkinson specials

Shifters: n/a
Front Derailleur: n/a
Rear Derailleur: n/a
Derailleur Cables: n/a
Cassette: n/a
Chain: YBN 1/8 track chain
Cranks: Andel RSC7-7172
Chainrings: 48T front, 15T rear
Bottom Bracket: Tange LN 3922
Pedals: MKS Sylvan

Rims: Velo Orange Paris-Brest
Hubs: Akor track
Hub Skewers: n/a
Nipples: hehehe
Spokes: stainless db
Tyres: Michelin Pro 3
Tubes: Raleigh

Saddle: black nylon
Seatpost: Campag aero
Seatpost Binder: ?

Bottle Cage: n/a
Extras: n/a

Weight: 7740g without the pedals or saddle

wow,beautiful you folk on this forum sure know how to build a bike.

Cheers dude! I'm still using the cut-down drops, but I've nabbed a shorter ITM stem that I'm going to give a go with the track drops again. It might be that I only use the drops when I'm at Herne Hill, so I might just leave the brakes off them because the bars aren't the right shape for them. Or keep them for a track-only bike with proper dropouts etc...

How have the chainset and BB been: that's exactly what I am thinking of using.

I like the look of those toe straps too: I'm building a chrome frame which I will be highlighted with a few red components.

They're great! I was nervous about an alloy chainring but I can't see any noticeable wear. No play in the bottom bracket yet, but I did go for the all-metal one, not the one with plastic cups. I definitely recommend sealed BB's if the old cup-and-balls one needs replacing.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Looking again at your photos, I see you're using the same pedals and straps I want! Must be a popular choice as the polished cage versions are out of stock, as are red Christophe straps.

As I'll also be using red, perforated bar tape, it'll be interesting to compare the two. I have been thinking about red spacers on the hub and red cables, but don't want to overdo it.

Back