Is bike stuff at Aldi any good?

Retro Cat

Senior Retro Guru
I'm not a bike snob me but is the bike stuff at Aldi any good? Could do with a couple of new tops and I can't afford my club's new design :(

For the price I can't fault it. Ive had some stuff for a couple of years.
It may not have 'Altura' type zips, or the fitting may be a little untailored, but its cheap and does the job.

I think for the money its pretty good. But, its sort of variable in quality from time to time and I have spent a bit of money on it.

A lot of the stuff is 'Crane' branded and the bike shirts are probably a bit thick and not the nicest of materials but then again on a cold day they do a really good job.

One thing I bought ages ago was some of the bike shoes, and whilst they didn't last forever, they did a good job. The weird thing was that when I went into a LBS another major brand were selling pretty much the same design and were 3x more money - there wasn't much difference excepting the cost and a slightly different colour.

That said, A few things I bought did split at the seams (which I got sewed up pretty easily) and a few of the zips have been a bit dodgy on waterproof outers.

If you are into your cycling chic, possibly not for you, if you are into a bargain and accept that they cost not a lot but do last as long, then they are great. Esp if you are only going to get them covered in mud anyway.

There is a sale on on Thurs I think this week, and I will go and have a look. I think they are doing waterproofs etc mainly.

One of the nicest things from Aldi, / Lidl was a really cheap merino wool long sleeve jersey which looks fine and has lasted really well. I think it was about 7 quid!

Then again, I went to a Morvelo end of season sale this weekend and I saved a hell of a lot of money - I spent £100 on 1pr bib shorts, 3 cycling jerseys, 4 t-shirts. Normal RRP on that was probably closer to £300 so I was over the moon!.

And that stuff is made lovely.

Go and have a look - there will definitely be something that you will find as a bargain and will serve you well.

:)

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/of ... sday12.htm

I bought a couple of bits from them last year. 3/4 length shorts were pretty good and do a good job in the cold under baggies with a pair of long socks over them. The waterproof jacket isn't great but it's fine to chuck in a backpack in case you get caught out with rain. Any decent time wearing it though and you get wet inside anyway as it doesn't breath at all. If they have any of the gilets they are OK.

All in all good for the price but don't expect top notch quality.

Might be worth investing in some good kit though - the shorts / tops I usually ride were quite expensive back in 94, but they're still going well. :)

Avoid the 'windproof' longs
windproof is a panel on the front thats polythene or something because you legs start to sweat under that section.then itch and thats damn annoying
The insert is designed for people with their genitals further down.In fact somewhere between where they should be and your arse.

for winter clothes i splash out a little (no pun intended) i can't fault my Rab vapour-rise jacket and trousers. both lined with a lovely soft and extremely well insulating felt type material. the outer is pertex i think and does a good job wind proofing without being totally suffocating.
may go for a buff this year to protect my big ears and stop my beard from getting frosted over (this has happened on the commute before).

for summer/the odd warm day, i go cheap, as i sweat more than a pig in a sauna doing star jumps.

Their cycling socks are brilliant. I'm less than convinced by my Crane lightweight waterproof jacket though, which is often less than waterproof.... :(

David

the winter longs are good
had some for about 4 years still going strong
will get some new ones tho as they dont seem to do them every year

the merinio jumpers they did last year are recomended too
and the cycle shoes they did a couple of years ago were the same as a £90 pair of spesh ones my mate had ,for £19

just noticed the tool kit
get one ,has most stuff you need for £20 , mines still going strong after
several years

mikee":1ndi3r01 said:
the winter longs are good
had some for about 4 years still going strong
will get some new ones tho as they dont seem to do them every year

the merinio jumpers they did last year are recomended too
and the cycle shoes they did a couple of years ago were the same as a £90 pair of spesh ones my mate had ,for £19

just noticed the tool kit
get one ,has most stuff you need for £20 , mines still going strong after
several years

Thanks for the feedback folks :) Most helpful and kind

Back