Raleigh Equipe (1985) Questions

hazzah

Retro Newbie
Hi,

I am currently out of the country but stored away back in the UK I have an excellent condition Raleigh Equipe (1985). I want to get this on the road on my next visit, meaning sourcing all the parts beforehand.

But the tyres are perished. I would like if possible to change the tyres to Cylco Cross tyres.

Does anyone have the exact sizing of the original tyres? The rims are the original chromed ones. Even better some Cyclo Cross size recommendations?

The bike was always too high geared for the Isle of Wight, and I am even older. Does anyone know what the large rear sprocket size is? And could recommend a new cassette sizing for typical "downs type" hills of the IoW?

Thanks in advance.
hazzah

these were normally on 27 x 1" 1/4 , but should change to 700 wheels easily which gives a much wider choice of tyres and types than old 27" ones .

I'm almost certain mine (badged as a Philips Premiere) had 700c wheels - maybe the age determines wheel size? Mine was early 1987.

All 'sports' bikes came with daft gears - 42,53 chainrings and 12-23 6 speed blocks. There might be two or three of those gears the average 15 year old would need on their ride to school.

I'd keep the block and get smaller rings if you can find any to fit the SR chainset - else you'll need to get a longer cage mech.

Sorry to bump this - I just rescued a battered Equipe frame - perfect for what I want - but it's missing its wheels. There seems to be some debate about what they came with - 27" or 700C? There's a dark grey fixed gear conversion on here that's got 700C wheels with tyres off a Langster and they seem to fill the gaps ok, but on the other hand there's one on eBay with 27" wheels and they don't look they are too tight.

Any ideas for definite?

Jonny69":1yoh3wy4 said:
Sorry to bump this - I just rescued a battered Equipe frame - perfect for what I want - but it's missing its wheels. There seems to be some debate about what they came with - 27" or 700C? There's a dark grey fixed gear conversion on here that's got 700C wheels with tyres off a Langster and they seem to fill the gaps ok, but on the other hand there's one on eBay with 27" wheels and they don't look they are too tight.

Any ideas for definite?

700c

Attachments

• equipe1.jpg
    equipe1.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 3,128
Back