Raleigh 1981 SBDU 753 Refurb - Updated

Rich34":zrbel1nl said:
That's a stunning bike. :cool:

So how do you find the difference between the old and new calipers?

Thanks all for the comments.

Dual calipers are definitely a refinement but I do agree with others that they spoil the look of the bike a bit. Not like I've ridden it in the rain anyway!

It does look rather lovely now with the tubs and SP brakes, just needs some cotton bar tape and it'll be a perfect blast from the past!

Tel":9z0k3t4c said:
It does look rather lovely now with the tubs and SP brakes, just needs some cotton bar tape and it'll be a perfect blast from the past!

I agree, the Cinelli gel tape is a bit bulky looking. Some would object to the Rolls and the fancy brake outers, modern tubs etc but it has to stop somewhere, need the money for the Twenty!

what a fantastic restoration!!!

I have an 84 team replica in panasonic colors and have a full nuovo record period correct parts and some SR dual pivot brakes for the best stopping power. rides like a dream.

Very nice but seeing as everyone has a good hand on their hearts in making it a true looking TI.

1: Cinelli XA stem has got to be changed to an early Cinelli 1a stem.
2: Rolls saddle has to go and in its place a nice Cinelli Uni' or Isacalle.
3: White handlebar tape changed to yellow or white Benotto tape.
4: Outer cables need to be boring black.
5: Simplex lever exchanged for some horrible campag' jobs.

A lot of new repro' campag' hoods on the market for £15 - £20 these days.

Oh I nearly forgot this one! I LOVE TI RALEIGH's and seeing as you have one and I don't I'm jealous to death :(

Ian Raleigh":xhubagm3 said:
Very nice but seeing as everyone has a good hand on their hearts in making it a true looking TI.

1: Cinelli XA stem has got to be changed to an early Cinelli 1a stem.
2: Rolls saddle has to go and in its place a nice Cinelli Uni' or Isacalle.
3: White handlebar tape changed to yellow or white Benotto tape.
4: Outer cables need to be boring black.
5: Simplex lever exchanged for some horrible campag' jobs.

A lot of new repro' campag' hoods on the market for £15 - £20 these days.

Oh I nearly forgot this one! I LOVE TI RALEIGH's and seeing as you have one and I don't I'm jealous to death :(

And the Dura Ace bits ;)

Simplex retro frictions are such a big upgrade on the SR it's not close - it's not like the Campags were panto'd or anything...

Latest posts

Back