I know i can get a samsung galaxy s3 for nothing with a good package

i am currently using a htc desire which has been canny bar the camera

So what do you have and whats it like

m88arx":3j8vmkpw said:
Time for a new smartphone contract up so any ideas

i am currently using a htc desire which has been canny bar the camera

You've potentially opened up a can of worms here! ;)

A lot of iPhone owners can't see the wood for the trees, and will swear blind that the iPhone is the best thing ever (which it isn't, and I own one).

A lot of Android owners will dismiss anything that an iPhone owner says on the basis that "iPhones are crap".

I've owned countless Android handsets (HTC Desire, Desire HD, Sensation XE, One X, Samsung Galaxy Note, Galaxy Nexus), and every version of the iPhone, as well as 2 Windows phones (HTC HD7 and Nokia Lumia 800) so I feel that I'm fairly well qualified to comment without giving some of the one-sided nonsense that Apple/Android fanboys tend to spout at one another.

To tell the truth, there really is very little to set any one of the current crop of smartphones above another. Each phone will do everything you ask of it, and each phone will do certain things better, and other things worse than others. A lot of it will boil down to:

a) Whichever operating system you prefer (Android/iOS/Windows)
b) Your budget
c) Your requirements (good camera/good screen/powerful processor/good social network integration etc)

- If you want a good camera, look at the HTC One X, Nokia Lumia 820/920 (when released) Samsung Galaxy S3 or iPhone 4S or 5.

- If you want something with a powerful processor, look at the HTC One X or Samsung Galaxy S3.

- If you want something with a good battery, look at the Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX (I think?), or the iPhone 5 (which I'm currently testing the battery on and I'm very impressed with as it knocks the HTC One X into a cocked hat).

- For something with a decent screen for watching movies etc, look at the Galaxy S3 with it's 4.8" Super AMOLED HD effort, which looks fantastic.

So, as far as I see it, you have a few choices. If it was my money, here's what I'd narrow it down to:

Android - Galaxy S3, HTC One X
iOS - iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 (worth the extra)
Windows - Nokia Lumia 820/920, or wait a few months for the HTC 8X.

moto-startac.jpg

TheGreenRabbit":nlvhfp4p said:
If you want to play angry birds go with iphone etc if you want to get work done blackberry.

Blackberrys do what they do well. But an Android/iOS/Windows phone can do everything a BB can do, better.

Barneyballbags":3s469wir said:
Blackberrys do what they do well. But an Android/iOS/Windows phone can do everything a BB can do, better.

No, they can't... especially not if you use the excellent BBM (Which I hadn't until recently, despite having had a BB for a few years.) Sadly, there is now NO smartphone available that can adequately replace my BB and fulfil my checklist of requirements;

MUST be "candy bar" format
MUST have a proper numeric keypad (it's a phone, remember?)
MUST NOT rely on touch screen in any way (filthy things, what idiot thought that constantly wiping grease all over your screen was a good idea?)
MUST HAVE: Long battery life (three days between charges at least, fairly heavy use), GPS + semi-decent camera (autofocus and flash, at least), WiFi and SSH terminal available

It's fashionable to scorn RIM because their phones aren't as hyped and fashionable as some of the competition... but if you're actually relying on your phone as a communication device, you'd be stupid not to consider one (something from the Bold line, now that the Pearl 3G has sadly been ditched)

m88arx":2aq200nt said:
I am currently using a htc desire which has been canny bar the camera

I've been looking for a replacement for my HTC Desire S, and didn't really find anything new that suited me. There's a lot out there that's good, but nothing that ticked most of my boxes.
Mind you, I'm not the kind of person that gets a phone with their contract or vice versa. I just buy my phones at full retail price, so I can replace them when I want and/or cancel my contract without extra costs.

In the end I decided that right now isn't a good time to get a phone. I'd rather wait until the powerful processors and hi-def cameras become available in reasonably-sized phones with better batteries.
I ended up buying a brand new Desire (no S, no HD, no Z, the original A8181 model) for around £100.

Seeing as it has no warranty, I'm going to root it and put a different ROM on there, which allows me to partition the MicroSD and use one of the partitions as part of the internal memory.
That solves the Desire's only real problem and should allow me to go on for another 2 years.

Back