Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Mk2

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
'Normal' people would buy and build one bike wouldn't they. Consider I have just completed a 24" DMR Rhythm, with an excess frame in tow, and a Genesis IO urban...
I'm not sure where this started, I think it was the idea of a play bike or simple SS or playable commuter, anyway it's sort of spiraled into more than 4 potential builds! :oops: :LOL:

I fancied summat with short/no travel for less involved adventures, ideal was a Trailstar as this is what I should have chosen in 2003 but instead was lured into fat bright rigid as hell alloy BSX type machine...
As I'm now a bit older and just out for fun, riding on a 13" jump bike isn't right for me at all, Trailstar has heratage and 16" 71/73 frame doesnt carry any bravado it's a cool do it all small MTB that follows on from where we all started on XC machines... Most likely too short for me at 6tf 2 with long legs but we'll see! :cool:

First was this NOS bad boy, lovely. The geared thing was eating away at me but fancy a few close range gears on this. It justifies a tidy build though and the bits I have at present are a bit old for it, so it's been waiting patiently...

P9204812_zps1a6e11a1.jpg

And more recently while I wasn't buying anything else...
This retrotastic horizontal drop '1997' Mk1 frame turned up. Oops
P9204811_zps6fc15098.jpg

Idea for this was to build a sort of non flashy 'pub' type bike with old bits. Maybe with those Rigid FreeAgent BMX forks, or with the 2004 White Bros DT1.2 sus forks...
Rest of the bits are from 2000-2004 inc used old Hope brakes and 50mm gusset Sod stem or 75mm Acor lookalike-Azonic to stretch out the cockpit

So not sure which bits to do what with at the mo
P9204814_zps31a3aa2d.jpg

Mk1=6.8lbs Mk2=6.9lbs
Surprised me this, that means they are both equal and both double butted...

The Mk2 was gonna go a kind of 4x type build, but fancied going trialsy though it does weigh a tonne so maybe not best idea, 4x type best.

Might do the MK1 with Gusset pigmy cranks Pig headset and go from there, and decide if rigid or 100mm (490mm A-C)..

Any kind comments welcome. :)
Also anyone to confirm the Mk1 is 26.4 seatpost?
Cheers

Hey thanks Chris, turns out it's quite a survivor. Cheers, got here in one unmangled piece. :)

It's too good and retro to repaint the Mk1 but if I did all those cable guides would have to go! :idea: Didn't think I was OCD but.... :oops:

Nice. The NOS looks proper smart and very clean compared to modern bikes with funny shaped tubes (although I still like them too, you just forget how good a simple twin triangle frame can look).

My other half would castrate me if I bought as many frames as you!

I love them both!

I was thinking of your builds, you have some good ones on the go completed. Did you ever finish your Santa Cruz Bullit?!

Nice Trailstars. Best do it all hardtail frame I've ever had. I love my Sidekick, it's great for messing around on and a bit of d/h, but the Trailstar is better for real mtbing. I used to haul all 37lbs of mine round Afan regularly. Great bike :D

Mindmap3":645etth7 said:
Nice. The NOS looks proper smart and very clean compared to modern bikes with funny shaped tubes (although I still like them too, you just forget how good a simple twin triangle frame can look).

My other half would castrate me if I bought as many frames as you!

Hey, I know what you mean with hydroform everywhere, and as you mention it this seems to be the reason why I like this and stuff similar to this. Aesthetically I actually seem to prefer the look of the MK2.
I really can feel 2 builds coming on, I'll have a rummage while the boss is out and update the thread with potential bits. The MK2 really does demand nice tidy parts so Mk1 may com first and I can see how sizing will work, plus it will be easy! :D

I'm almost in the dog house to be honest but I have got a good 'understanding' one, plus I don't think she's clocked these two! :oops: :LOL:

Coomber, well remembered, My mate sold me the bullit and back then he was all over full suss, I collected a few parts but never fancied it enough to build, plus wanted to make an effort with it. I've got a few bits but built the Cotic instead with the forks I got. I'll have to build it for a laugh sometime in the future, It's actually retro now! :D

DJ DMR, Sidekick is same length n stuff isn't it yeah? I always wrote of Trailstars cos they sound read small in theory but we'll see, should be fun and SS is good any size :cool:
For a sort while I had a MK3 18" frame. really didn't like it, looked really ugly, really fat stays and stuff and pretty much duplicated my Cotic but not as nice so got sold on and replaced by all the others!
Yep look forward to building em up...

Will get some pics of the bits soon.

Sketchy update time, There's always a chance of me going from a few bits to full completion on these threads! It's been a case of finding time really with all the family and friends visits and DIY house tasks! So here is a very basic Mock up until I find a day or 2 to try building it up, I now should have all the bits I need... ;)

The Mk1 I went for as most of my bits are used/half retro now, and dont want anything too precious, plus it might double as a SS for the GF to try out being a small frame.
PC235382.jpg

Got My White Bros back, they'll be perfect I expect.
Seat Collar was 28.6, and got a 26mm Kalloy RSP post to fit off My M-Trax road frame!
I bought an Avid BB7 for ther rear to utilise the many cable stops on the frame! Front may well be a vintage Hope 1 pot, not sure how dual systems will feel or look. :?
Gearing is looking like 40-18 probs or 40-16 which would be more road friendly...

Very nice, good choice building the MK1 up, I think they look much better.

I had a few different ones over the years, and at one point I received a MK2 as a warranty replacement after cracking my MK1.5. I was a bit disappointed initially due to the ugly downtube gusset and over size tubing. Still rode great though!

Stick some chrome profiles on it and SS it.

Hey thanks DJT21. :)

Well on this I have my old Gusset Pigmys off my 2004 Identiti, they look pretty good I reckon. First time I've set them up myself and I did OK with them, just they don't spin so great there is a tension spot on the spin but they are loose enough to work OK.

Well here's the story so far in one very basic picture. I had a few afternoons to reach out all the gubbins hidden away and cobble this together, It's looking good and vintage I reckon :cool::
PC275445.jpg

Still a way to go, the headset was a bit of a faff, still using the basic cheapo ebay tool, got there in the end, though I should buy a proper one if I plan to build any more. Everything else was 'OK', brakes were a nightmare, realised I'd made a mistake with wantng to use cable guides with the Avid BB5 as the 180 rear rotor was bigger than the front! and even scuffed the frame with the wheel 'slammed'! So balls to that, I Considered XT V brakes but didn't want to ruin the rim, so I fiddled with an old M4 Hope thing, and gave up and I've ended with an old Hope Mini 165 on the front that needs bleeding and attention to the lever, and a spare old 160 Diatech Anchor on the back, matches fairly good apart from levers.

So to complete I need to find my DMR cassette SS spacer set that I've likely put 'somewhere safe' :roll:, also some chain tensioners are needed, and probs summat else, Oh I have vintage DMR V12's that need a rebuild if I CBA,,, And almost there...

Back