best budget all round tub

You need to store tubs for a few months or even a year or more - on a spare wheel or rim to stretch them and in the dark - before mounting to allow the 'rubber' to mature. This can help to avoid puncturing as the tread hardens. Unless the shop has stored them correctly as above they will still be 'green'. BITD when I and everyone else used tubs all the time we bought our tubs for next season now.

I reckon puncturing is a matter of luck. If you catch the wrong piece of glass or flint then any lightweight tyre could puncture, tubular or otherwise.

it's really not that hard or difficult to properly glue a tub. if you only have one set of wheels then it's more convenient if they're clinchers, but having a spare set of wheels that you can use while glueing or reparing your tubs means it doesn't really matter if you take a few days to glue them.

Old Ned":ryatoeab said:
You need to store tubs for a few months or even a year or more - on a spare wheel or rim to stretch them and in the dark - before mounting to allow the 'rubber' to mature. This can help to avoid puncturing as the tread hardens. Unless the shop has stored them correctly as above they will still be 'green'. BITD when I and everyone else used tubs all the time we bought our tubs for next season now.

I reckon puncturing is a matter of luck. If you catch the wrong piece of glass or flint then any lightweight tyre could puncture, tubular or otherwise.

Modern tubs don't use natural rubber,therefore the procedure is pointless... Butyl rubber does not improve with ageing

thanks for comments all

well unfortunately i don't have a year to mature my tyres, of the right "vintage".

these are going on a bike rebuild that, in all honesty, probably wont get ridden any more than the occasional weekend cruise, as the daily bike will get more use. so i'm not looking to spend a fortune on acquiring the best tyres around, and furthermore, buying them for next year. (let alone clearing out my wine cellar to store them :LOL: )

i will look at the milanos and the conty giro's and see where how i go. also obviously i should probably buy 3 tyres to begin with.

also gum/natural wall IS a criteria...

anyone know where to get the rubber and alley lashes to put under the saddle to carry spare?

bg2":7payt7pc said:
thanks for comments all

well unfortunately i don't have a year to mature my tyres, of the right "vintage".

these are going on a bike rebuild that, in all honesty, probably wont get ridden any more than the occasional weekend cruise, as the daily bike will get more use. so i'm not looking to spend a fortune on acquiring the best tyres around, and furthermore, buying them for next year. (let alone clearing out my wine cellar to store them :LOL: )

i will look at the milanos and the conty giro's and see where how i go. also obviously i should probably buy 3 tyres to begin with.

also gum/natural wall IS a criteria...

anyone know where to get the rubber and alley lashes to put under the saddle to carry spare?

Tan wall tubs are lighter, prettier, but also more fragile. As the thread is not covered with rubber, they get scuffed very easily... I destroyed a set of Vittoria SC by just jumping on a few cobbles... while I run the entire retroronde on the Vittoria CX no problem...
As I said, invest in the CX, they are truly amazing tyres, worth every penny... fast, robust, can be fixed, excellent grip, light... 20 pounds tubulars can be OK, but they are just cheap tubulars which will let you down, in a way or another.

Back