1983 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport

dynaserve

Dirt Disciple
After months/years of looking I have just bought this.
The good:
Mechanically it is very, very good, the bearings are soo smooth and wheels are true. Seatpost is not stuck.
No dents or rust to frame (other than real minor surface rust)
I think the grips and bar plugs are original.
The bad (well not that bad):
It's not the 'original' Stumpy, I think its the second model year and 'only' the sport model.
Frame is scratched in places, err it's nearly 30 years old!
Front brake blocks have been changed (I will track down some original Diacomps though).
Tyres changes - Ritchey Cross Bite >1992
I'm not sure the bars are original spec?
I think the pedals are original - SR Surefoot III ?
I think the saddle is original - Avocet Touring II.

I would love to hear your comments and any observations on the above.

So happy with this and think I got a great deal today! Looking forward to cleaning it up a little next weekend, but thought I would show as-is!

Cheers!

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 2,178
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    72.8 KB · Views: 2,171
  • 7.jpeg
    7.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 2,171
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 2,173
That's an amazing find - rare as hen's teeth this side of the pond (in my experience anyhow, as I'm always on the lookout for anything early/mid 80's).

Looks in good nick - I think you are right about the bars, they don't look original. The stem looks pretty original (which rules out a bullmoose setup, which probably would have been the norm for the period), so guessing it would have had some lowish riser type bars on there of some sort - but I'm sure a real expert will be along to correct me.

Beautiful lugwork - if you happen to have any pics of the lugwork on the forks, I'd love to seem 'em!

That's a great find indeed! Look forward to seeing it progress.

That is very nice great find, I am very surprised how very very similar it is to my 80`s S&G Muddy Fox. Did these get made in Japan?

muppetman":3jlqsb3l said:
rare as hen's teeth this side of the pond...any pics of the lugwork on the forks

Lived in Lancs all of my life, but recently moved to Canada and picked this up locally for a steal - Is that cheating?

Will post the fork pics later - Ta.

Back