Englund / Eko Total Air Carts Help Needed

phill77

Retrobike Rider
Morning All,

I have a set of Total Air carts in my Judys which hold air perfectly, but one of them is 'sticky' towards the beginning of its stroke.

Does anyone have instructions as to how to get inside them?

Thanks,
Phil

I'll check to see if the instructions I have contain anything useful, if so ill report back.

On a similar topic I assume these kits need servicing eventually, anyone know how to do this and what parts are needed? Thinking ahead for the time if/when I need to undertake such a task?

Have you taken them out, wiped them clean and then lubed them up with fork grease (e.g. JUDY Butter etc..)
which is afaik their yearly maintenance recommendation

it was a while ago but try dropping spacehopper a line, I had the exact same issue and he sorted them out for me ...Really top bloke :cool:

Apparently the new wayback machine is having problems and i must try again later.... But thank you anyway. I have had a trawl round and seen some pictures. So for a judy you remove the damper and dummy rod along with all the elastomers and stick these in? Some old reviews indicate they were pretty good. Are all parts obsolete for them? Has anyone got a dead one I could take a look at?

Rather embarrassingly, someone replied to my post on MTBR linking me back here, I just hadn't searched properly!

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20763

I've started to take them to bits, firstly to sort out this sticking problem, but also because I want to see if I can make something similar to drop in a set of Manitous.

They have always worked well for me, never leaked, I have never serviced them, (only by smearing a bit of oil on the exposed rods) and have had them for around 8 years.

Uncle Monty: Yep, remove rod, damper and elastomers, and drop one of these in each leg. Far better than the original elastomers and dampers, but obviously no substitute for a modern fork.
I'll stick a couple of photos up when I have one completely in bits.

Phill[/url]

Link is working now thanks. They look interesting and in theory not too hard to make once you get the sealing side right. I would be interested to see how you get on and the photos of the dismantled unit. I found a site mentioning that they had no service parts available and manufacture had ceased due to the supplier of precision tube going out of business.

As far as the DIY cartridge goes, I'm wondering whether I can modify a small pneumatic actuator. If I decide it is feasible, I shall start a new thread.

Back