GH6 Dynohub squeaky little problem

JakeMiddleton

Dirt Disciple
Hi guys

I recently restored a 40s raleigh. Here is a picture http://www.flickr.com/photos/55203562@N ... /lightbox/

I have a problem though, the front hub a GH6 dynohub is letting out a little squeak when it turns. I greased and adjusted the bearings just fine and they are set up fine but the hub is squeaking and it seems to come from the magnet and armature, it seems to be rubbing a little bit. I assumed they were not ment to actually touch and I think this is the problem. Aside from putting some oil on the magnet does anyone have any suggestions or experience to offer? This is my dream bike, the only crack in the armour is this squeak.

Jake

Jake, there is a theory that the magnet should not be removed without a keeper, (a cast iron ring) which I had. However I have never found it matters, I think it is one of those legends that are often repeated. If you take it apart don't put the magnet on something steel.
I had a front dynohub used in the winter for many years. I took the "armature" out and lightly tapped down the surface with a small hammer, to give it fractionally more clearance. Also clean out the gaps between the magnet poles. Also make sure the hub adjustment doesn't leave the hub using the dust cover as a bearing.
As I said I spent some years making these work, back in the 1950's.

Keith

I did not remove the inner magnet ring from the outer armature ring, I think it may be using the dust cover as a bearing, the inner dust cover bit that is stationary as the hub turns may be rubbing on the outer one.... Is there some sort of washer that I am missing that is ment to prevent this?

Jake, The armature goes straight on the long cone, you should not have a washer in there. The cone adjuster (fits over the cone and has 4 slots for a C spanner) is held in by a thin washer and lock nut, and presses the armature inwards.
There is some info out there.
Keith

Jake, you have it correctly seen. Outside the armature the flats of the cone stick out, and are locked by a washer that fits over the flats on the axle, and a lock nut. between the armature and the locknut is a washer that fits over the cone flats, and is something like 3/16 inch thick. This has 4 slots around it and was intended to be adjusted with a "C" spanner, but anything to hold it while you tighten the lock nut, or even clamp the flats on the axle. Then you can finish the adjustment from the other side.
( GH6 hubs prior to 1952 had the adjusting cone on the dynamo side. This cone is extended to pass through the armature body and is flatted at the outer end to take notched adjuster washer, by means of which the cone may be turned)
There are pictures somewhere, I can't get Hadlands site.

I was assuming that it's an early one, some confusion possible.
Keith

Back