A Motobecane shaped problem

PedroB

Retro Newbie
I bought this as my first foray into road biking about 6 months ago. I didn't pay much for it but after six months of abuse I'm deciding whether it is worth doing a bit of a restoration job on it over the winter. I have done a little bit of light restoration on it to keep it roadworthy, and as you'll see from the photos i'm in the process of changing the freewheel.

I'm planning on doing L'eroica next year with some friends and had thought about using this bike for it so, if I do restore or upgrade it I'd like to keep it period if at all possible. Any suggestions on what to do or what parts to fit would be much appreciated!

Frame: Motobecane Mirage No 842385

Fork: Unbranded original

Handlebar: Motobecane
Bar Tape: Motobecane

Brake Levers/Brifters: Weinmann
Brake Calipers: Weinmann 500

Shifters: Sachs
Front Derailleur: Huret
Rear Derailleur: Sachs-Huret
Cassette: Malliard Helicomatic
Cranks: Motobecane
Pedals: Lyotard 136R

Rims: Rigida
Hubs: Maillard
Hub Skewers: Spidel
Tyres: Continental Gatorskin 700x23
Tubes: Giant

Saddle: Motobecane

11l4k8x.jpg

vh8efn.jpg

34eqfqs.jpg

33ti4y0.jpg

wsn5n5.jpg

I replaced the brake pads and cables when I first got the bike so that is sorted. What kind of mech would you recommend?

I'm also wondering if I might respray the fram too. A mate has a car bodyshop and has offered to do it for free if I do the stripping down...

You need a quality Simplex rear mech! Either an SLJ5000/5500 or an SX410.

Been a few forsale just lately on retrobike.

The black leather handlebar sleeves are gorgeous on no account do you get rid of them.

The quick release on the rear brake is open. Maybe you've already done
so, but you need to close it for the brakes to work properly. Sorry, not meant to be patronising or anything, but it's a common mistake to forget
to close the QR.

Re paint, that colour scheme and the decals looks nice to me, and in good condition from the photos. Respray if you don't like the colour, but I don't think the bike needs it.

Good luck,

Johnny

Fit toe clips and straps or clipless pedals, that will make a huge difference.

When upgrading sticking to French parts i.e Mavic, Simplex, Spidel, Stronglight, etc will ensure that it all ties in nicely.

When you replaced the cables did you fit new outers too, those like quite tatty.

Thanks for the input guys. The QR on the rear brake is off as the rear wheel had just been taken off for fiddling with the hub, but thanks for the heads up.

The paint is quite tatty but I love the colour. It is a bit tricky to photograph, but it is a kinda white pearl metallic.

2le154j.jpg

I'll be keeping it the same colour scheme of white and blue if I do respray it.

Ebay for some bits it is! (just don't tell the Mrs....)

Back