What cycle computer.?

Kona-Ian

Senior Retro Guru
Need a new cycle computer, wondering if any of you could recommend one.
Needs to be wireless, not cheap tat but not really expensive.

I have a couple of Cateye computers, mine are both wired, but they've worked faultlessly.

Ebay a GPS unit, a Garmin 205 or something.
Enter the world of Sporttracks and Strava.

Or use a GPS enabled phone.

Cateye cordless 7. Excellent little device although I think it's called something else now, Vectra possibly or Micra. Just replace the batteries (very) occasionally :D

Wired Cateyes all the way. I had a Topeak Panoram (the V12) for nearly a year, and wouldn't recommend that, nor would I recommend wireless.

Whenever I turned on the headlight, the computer wouldn't receive a signal anymore.
It also wouldn't automatically wake up when you started riding, so I had to manually turn it on every time. This is a problem across the Topeak range, and for that reason alone I'd recommend Cateye.

Now if only I could find a set of NOS Mity2's, ...

I had a wired cateye (velo:cool: and it didn't do well in the rain, at all. It would stop recording speed regularly, and at worst reset entirely, which was frustrating to say the least. From what I've read online, this happens quite often with the Velo 8. I've since upgraded to the double strada wireless, with cadence, which I'd thoroughly recommend, though they are pretty dear new (around £60-70), so might be worth looking for on ebay - I got mine for £20. You can get them cheaper if you omit the cadence reader, which I don't think is that much of a loss really, though it is occasionally interesting to have an exact figure.

I think Garmin and strava are definitely the way forward though, they are very high up on my want list...

Back