been riding these lately
both 92 and both GT's
one steel ,true temper GTX
one alloy 7000 series
P1040707_zps0ac335b6.jpg

P1040716_zps89bb9d59.jpg

P1040733_zps9754681d.jpg

P1040745_zps29d696d1.jpg

the pantera feels like a modern-ish hard tail direct ,fast, stiff, feels heavy tho in comparison to the avalanche ,tho its lighter
the avalanche feels , well steel is real and all that ,feels fast and supple
both handle like all GT's ie really well
like them both but the avalanche is better

was waiting on loki doing his comparison

Got to love them early gt's, didn't you have one of these too Mikee?
IMAG2279.jpg

Blackstar":1zslw0q3 said:
Are you running hub gears on the avvie?

no its just s/s and about magic ratio so no tensioner required

lee
yes ,its another awaiting me to build it

Wondering how you found working with the old stem - I have got my hands on a 1992 Pantera. With the original stem probably rusted in place. Not sure if it's relevant but would you have any advice on getting it off. (So I can work on the headset either new bearings or replacement.)

Some photos of the aluminium stopper/bolt now rattling around between base of the Orange stem and the bottom of the steerer tube.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nevermindt ... 824799740/

Again not sure if this is an area of your expertise but am guessing it might be someones:

1) Guessing my bike would have had a Deore LX rear derailleur. Anyway know this for sure?
2) The front brakes are V Brakes which means they can't be original parts as I think these kicked off in about 1996. The rear break is an EXAGE mountain caliper brake.
3) I bought this bike along with two others and a load of bent wheels and old parts for £20 locally. I suspect the Araya silver aluminium rims with quick release are the most likely original wheelset.

It seems that the only stuff I can find online about the bike indicates Suntour components but then some people mention Euro spec was Shimano and I think a lot of the LX parts on the bike were original. Sorry to bump your thread!

Back