One of the most extraordinary physical accomplishments ever

misteroo":170bs955 said:
FluffyChicken":170bs955 said:
misteroo":170bs955 said:
Personally I have zero respect for these people!!

Yeah great..they can climb a cliff face without a rope, I put them in the same catagory as people who jump in front of trains....one day someone will have to scrape their body off of something solid!!!

Im sure theyre family and friends sleep really well at night...just waiting for that phone call.

Sorry...just my opinion.... :?

Do you think the same every time somebody walks down the path, drives a car or rides a bike.
All three are accidents waiting to happen and kill people everyday.

Riding 20 year old bikes that have fatigue people cannot see should be put in a similar danger category to the climber

I don't think you can put those three examples in the same bracket as climbing several thousand feet up a rock face!!!!!!!!

;)

Give me three more that have the same RISK as what these people do....bet you cant... :cool:

I would imagine 3 similar activities would be;

1. Cave Diving
2. Base Jumping / Proximety Flying
3. Road racing on motorbikes eg Isle of Man TT

I don't think soloing and jumping in front of a train fall into the same category; soloing is a joyous expression of skill and mind over matter whereas the other doesn't involve much joyousness or indeed skill in dodging the train.

How anybody could look at that and not be impressed is beyond me :shock:

Similar to a dude stepping in front of train?
Only if the dude managed to survive without injury again and again and again............... :roll:

Sorry..the train comment was aimed at the emergency services that have to clear up the death scene.... I'm sure that climbing without ropes must give them a high respect for the dead person in front of them!!!

And I'm pretty sure Cave Divers use safety lines, Base Jumpers more often than not have some sort of Parachute and TT riders generally wear Leathers etc etc

In my job its all about Risk Assessment, and Control Measures.....can the risk be controlled or removed? and if my family aren't going to get a call to say that i'm in hospital.
When you've seen guys end up with half a brain because of a fall involving a head trauma and then cant support they're family or play football in the park with they're son, you do start to look at things slightly differently.

OK so these people are skilled, but ultimately every time they climb there is a VERY HIGH risk of them dying, and ultimately it doesn't just affect them, it leaves a mass of hurt and pain behind.

Like I said...just my opinion.... ;)

Bear in mind that scraping him off the rock at the base of the cliff will be keeping someone in a job (ie. a coroner or someone like that). They will have done it many times as it's part of the job.

This guy obviously plans very carefully for what he does....he isn't like you or me in his capabilities due to his climbing skills and temperament, so statistically he may live longer than, for example, all those people who suffer from an alcoholic illness and end up costing the NHS a lot of time & money due to treatment for their condition. Or the risk of heart attack that an unhealthy person presents in giving regular shocks to their cardio-vascular system eg. overexerting whilst playing football on an irregular basis.

Irresponsible = wrecklessness
Responsible = taking calculated risk

The question in the law of negligence would be "is the risk of performing the act likely to result in death?" No doubt this guy would say that it is unlikely and improbable...otherwise he wouldn't do it. Of course the defence would argue that this is only the opinion of a guy with a vested interest in accomplishing the feat, and not the opinion of an independent "reasonable person". However, is an independent reasonable person able to calculate all the risks? Eg. Do they really know this guys' capabilities? Maybe he only knows what he is capable of....

Where the hell am i headed with this???? Someone help me :roll: :D

misteroo":2mfkerij said:
And then a big f**k Off seagull fly's in to him and he loses his grip!!!!

:shock: :cool: :LOL:

This may be foreseeable but if it is improbable then the act is not negligent.....oh god....somebody stop me :roll: :oops:

Drewson":3nuonlrw said:
misteroo":3nuonlrw said:
And then a big f**k Off seagull fly's in to him and he loses his grip!!!!

:shock: :cool: :LOL:

This may be foreseeable but if it is improbable then the act is not negligent.....oh god....somebody stop me :roll: :oops:

What if it was a stealth bomber??

I think he has a type of mental condition, awkward with his words but able to shut off fear completely.

I have more respect for people who take precautions.

Do you respect the guy on the bike with the helmet or without a helmet?

gtRTSdh":2s1v2pp8 said:
I think he has a type of mental condition, awkward with his words but able to shut off fear completely.

I have more respect for people who take precautions.

Do you respect the guy on the bike with the helmet or without a helmet?

He did say that the reason he free climbs is because he can literally climb freely....without the need to carry equipment and deal with ropes and carabinas, etc. Probably why he was able to climb the face so quickly. I guess it's the most natural way to climb, but very dangerous for many.

Back