Hoods for "dual action" brake levers

Jono Bolton

Retro Newbie
On my bike I've got what I can only describe as dual-action brake levers on my drop bars i.e. there are both vertical and horizontal levers for each brake. Is there such a thing as a hood that would fit these levers? I've seen them for the vertical levers, but nothing that would suit mine. In fairness though, I'd never seen brake levers like that until I actually picked up the bike!

Hello,

'Dual action' levers that allow you to brake from the flat section of the bars
as well as the drops are usually given disparaging nicknames like
'turkey wings' or 'suicide levers'.

Most people would probably advise you to replace them because the horizontal levers often don't apply the brakes fully (hence 'suicide'), and also because they prevent you riding with your hands on the normal lever hoods.
Some argue that suicide levers were only invented because in the 1970s racing bikes with drop bars were fashionable even though many people
were actually more comfortable with flat bars.

It's not that hard to find a normal pair of decent quality single action hoods,
or if you really prefer riding on flat bars, install a pair of straight handlebars.

If you really really want to keep the dual action levers, you could cut a hole in a pair of ordinary lever hoods.

Cue discussion...

Johnny

Having spent my time in a bike shop in the 70's and had to set these things up and service them............. Throw them away !

Go for some ordinary levers (non-aero) with proper hoods :)

Loads to choose from, I quite like Shimano as I've got long thin fingers and suit my hand shape.

End of discussion LOL

Shaun

Thanks guys! I kinda like the 'suicide bars', when I first got the bike the levers were angled so that when I pulled on the lever it came right into the bar and stopped me dead, but I've taken the old tape off, took the bars off and cleaned them and put the levers back on, and now I'm noticing that they don't stop me completely because the levers don't come right into the bars anymore which I think is what Johnsqual was alluding to, I must've mounted the levers in a slightly different position on the curve to where they were previously.

I think I'll keep the suicide levers for now, I like to ride with my hands on the flat part of the bar and as I've just re-taped the bars I don't really want to replace the levers at the minute, the current ones work fine for what I need the bike for. I think for the time being I'll see if I can get some normal vertical hood and get my scalpel out!

@Jono: The problem with extension levers is that they don't normally
allow you to use the full leverage of the normal brake lever, so you
don't get the most powerful leverage. To get the maximum amount of leverage you need to be riding with you hands on the drops, although
you can normally get enough leverage with your hands on the lever hoods.
It might be that you've lost braking power because the cables have
lost tension after you re-installed the brakes.

If you prefer riding on the flats you'd be definitely be best off with longer
flat bars - the short flat section of drop bars doesn't give you much control over the bike, and is only really useful when climbing. I'd replace the bars and brakes as soon as you can.

@Grilla: I think turkey wings is American.There is also the evocative 'death grips' and the wildly inaccurate 'safety levers'.

Johnny

You can't get hoods for suicide levers. Shimano did make some with hoods though but they're rather hard to find. You can also get aero levers with the suicide extensions, again hard to find.

As others have said suicide levers are far from the most efficient. The modern day version of suicide levers are 'cross top levers' as used on cyclo cross bikes. I set some up for someone and the braking was as good as from the hoods.

Back