1985 DiamondBack Apex

just weighed mine for fun.. I have the heavier Infinity tubing + a rack and saddle bag, came in at 32lbs.

i wonder what the difference in frame weight is between the Infinity and MTB tube sets

Great bike! I had one of these pass through my hands last summer, in exceptional condition. Good on you to bring it back like that. If you want a reference point for the US-spec catalog build, click on this photo, and have a look through the whole album, I took a bunch of pics, then removed the shoulder strap and took some more. On of my favorite parts is the wheelset, high flange hubs laced to Araya's that have 'APEX' decals down the center.

IMG_9791.jpg

IMG_9702.jpg

I also had to let this one go, and I do believe these two bikes were separated at birth as the frame construction is exactly the same-extra spokes, wraparound seatstays, rack boss on the fork, etc., although the parts group is 2-3 years newer, and this one has a Tange Infinity sticker, so as was mentioned I do believe they changed the tubeset somewhere along the line.

Both bikes were a total joy to ride, if I had infinite space I'd still have both.

1988 Scott Boulder-feel free to look through this album as well, this bike had gold-anodized Sunshine hubs laced to Weinmann concave rims, so cool:

IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

As a fan of Diamond Backs (picking up a Sorrento and Ascent tomorrow in addition to below) I have to say hats off to you. This is amazing.

Those bikes look great, thanks for sharing. Those suzue cartridge bearing high flage hubs would have been supplied on my bike, I have been searching for a period wheel set, current is '88/'89. Also good see what rims would have been supplied. That Scott is indeed identical to the DB.

Interesting information on infinity tubing.

I live the ride of this and can't see myself parting with it any time soon.

Easy_Rider":38khswgz said:
Those bikes look great, thanks for sharing. Those suzue cartridge bearing high flage hubs would have been supplied on my bike, I have been searching for a period wheel set, current is '88/'89. Also good see what rims would have been supplied. That Scott is indeed identical to the DB.

Thanks-looking at the pictures I get depressed that they are gone-good to know someone else appreciates them for what they were. I'm on USA ebay all the time, If I see a set of these hubs come up I will surely have you in mind.

Easy_Rider":1oh2131y said:
That Scott is indeed identical to the DB.

when i saw the triple spoke holder i thought it was an apex in yellow LOL. Looking at the head tube it looks a little less steep than the 86 Apex imo

By 1988 Diamondback had dropped the spoke holder and had long moved onto Tange MTB. Catalog page for 1988 Apex

The serial # on my Apex with Infinity tubing suggests it was manufactured in late 1985. I actually think Apex was introduced as model year 1986 and at some point upgraded the tubing to Tange MTB. I've not seen any other Infinity stickered Apexes, though the 1986 review of the Apex in the mountain bike magazine does reference Infinity tubing.

I love my apex too.. it's become my main ride.. super smooth. I'd love to find an original one with the better tubing

Back