Cannock yesterday, Llandegla today, Coed y Brenin tomorrow

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
if anyone is up for it that's where i'll be, i assume it's too late notice for today but i'll be online later this evening if anyone wants to meet up on the other 2 days.

:D

If you get round Llandegla quickly and you've still got some juice in your legs you should check out Betwys-y-coed up the road from Llandegla, I much prefer it.

well, cannock has been done! :D it was riding really nice, little bit of rain but not enough to be a bother, although i am suffering a bit of a cold at the moment, doesn't seem too bad when i'm on the bike though which is good, sat here in the hotel bar blagging wifi on the other hand my nose is constantly buried in a hanky!

i thought i'd try Llandegla this time as i have done Betwys-y-coed before but not Llandegla so it's a case of something new. but i can't come this far and not do the MBR trail though (with some extras) on saturday, i just think that trail flows so well. the ups aren't too long to be annoying and the downhills are the right mix of fast/technical for my level of riding and on my patriot66 (with air shock) they are awesome.

As a none local, what did you think of Cannock?

Just asking as its my local spot and it seems to be much better with the Monkey Trail and the new bit of the Dog.

I keep meaning to head over to Wales, but never seem to get round to it. I do go to the Peaks a fair bit though as I have family in Sheffield. I like Dalby too.

i like Cannock. thing is i live in southampton, so if i want hills i need to go north.

also i like splitting up the driving on one of my missions, so i have a couple of options, cannock or afan/cwmcarn (both approx 3hours) being the first ports of call, frankly i have done afan too much so it has become boring and i feel cwmcarn is too short where as cannock takes me the same time to get to and has a nice mix of up and down in quick succession where as afan and cwmcarn both have massive ups then a massive down. also i love coed y brenin and it's quicker to get to coed y brenin from cannock than it is from afan or cwmcarn.

i know there are other places in between but i either don't know the trails and they're not marked or they are too short. trail centres are quite sanitized fun but they are fun

so today was, leave at 10.30, half way there is a little chef on the a34 just before the m40 turn off which is perfectly placed at the halfway point, then i got to cannock at 2ish, rode till just gone 4.30, then left for dolgellau arriving at 630, showered and fed by 8, then chilling in the bar with the laptop, ideal really.

:)

Good stuff. I quite enjoy Cannock, they've made pretty good use of the limited hills we have round here. It's also reasonably cut up at the mo so doesn't feel too sanitised. I think it rides better when it's a bit damp because it's really loose when its dry.

They do need to do something about bait the rocky humps on the last section of the dog, before it crosses over the road, back to the visitor centre. On my last two visits there ambulances have been there mopping up accidents. One guy was in a bad way and totallykocked out after face planting.

do you mean the 'rollers'? utterly ruined them! they used to be smooth and you could get a bit of air but the rocks have made them so rough that they are now rubbish. :roll:

so today i did Llandegla,

at first i must admit i thought it was gonna be rubbish, 2 miles in and only gravel track :( then it turned into a very man made playground! i mean that in a positive way! nearly every bike i saw was a full suss but this trail could happily be done on a hardtail, even the black sections as the terrain is mostly quite smooth.

one thing i did like was the spacing of the various jumps, table tops and doubles, none too big and far enough apart that you have time to get ready for the next one.

i'd highly recommend riding here but as i said above the first section is a little dull, that said because it's an uphill it does get you warmed up so i suppose it's not all bad!

should have got some pics

here's a vid from youtube i found though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b-ta43H ... re=related

They're the badgers. The problem was that people were trying to double them when they were smooth and hurting themselves, but the rocks don't seem to have helped much at all. I really like that section across the road, all apart from these.

How was today's ride?

Back