Can my girlfriend's employer do this??

Barneyballbags

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Hiya,

I'm hoping that somone may be able to help.

My girlfriend recently got herself a bike through her employer's cycle-to-work scheme. The monthly payments were due to start this month (September).

She has been paid today, and noticed that the first monthly deduction had not been taken out of her wages. She then went in to work to find an email from the Payroll Department, as follows:

"Dear Helen

I am emailing to inform you that your salary deduction for the Cardiff and Vale ULHB Cycle To Work Scheme will not take place as scheduled this month due to a payroll error.

As this money needs to be paid to the Cycle To Work company, the September deduction of £79.17 will be deducted in October along with your normal October deduction.

This will mean that a total of £158.34 will be deducted next month.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

Kind Regards

Control Team | Payroll Department"

Naturally, my girlfriend is a little p**sed off at the fact that Payroll are going to try to make 2 deductions next month to make up for their cockup (which they've admitted to, and which I've highlighted in bold above).

Can they do this? Or can my girlfriend effectively tell them to go forth and multiply, and stick the missed payment on to the end of the agreement? Surely she has some kind of rights when it comes to her monthly deductions changing because of an error on someone else's behalf? There isn't anything in the terms and conditions of the agreement to cover this scenario so I'm a little confused as to what we can do.

Any help/advice would be appreciated. We don't want to have to pay 2 repayments in one month because of a Payroll error!

What's the problem? She's getting no deduction this month, so in the end it all works out to the same numbers.

Thanks for the comments.

Sorted now - she had a rant at the Payroll department who are going to add it on to the end of the agreement.

I think it was more the prinicple of the matter and the fact that her employers thought that they could just do whatever the hell they liked with her wages that's all.

Case closed ;)

I know the case is closed but yes they could deduct 2 payments to play "catch up"......... :(

Shaun

Your GF's payroll screwed up and left her with an extra 80 this month to do with as she pleases and she's angry? I don't get it.

They're essentially giving her an 80 pound interest free loan for the month. The sensible thing to do would be buy some retro bike parts, but she could always get all crazy and put it in the bank to offset the extra deduction next month.

Back