RetroBike National Series Rd 6: Peak District ~ AFTERMATH

Eee, that's a nasty one :cry: As Rob said though, definitely look into a repair - it may not be as terminal as you'd initially think...

Great ride as always, Kiran really enjoyed it too and the apres wasn't half bad. Always a massive pleasure to ride/booze with you lot! :cool:

Big thanks to everyone in yellow and to Spencer for a whole raft of karma :D Hope to see you all out at the Mynd soon - it's a fantastic route for anyone who's not been, in the same league as this ride I'd say. Plus the pub stop's a joy - they let you choose your own food and everything! :LOL:

That's a shame jeff!......I bet you felt sick when you saw that!.....just a thought, but try approaching pace and see what they say!......they won't want to see one of their flagship bikes on the big tip in the sky!...

What an amazing day :D I don't think we could of asked for more, even the bacon was perfect :LOL: I really enjoyed my self on saturday and I kept it rubber side down which is rare when I ride the smokers,
A big thanks to all who helped with run down to the cafe and to everyone else for turning up and making it a day to remember, thanks also to Spencer for the bars and beer,

IMAG0217.jpg

IMAG0218.jpg

IMAG0226.jpg

IMAG0221.jpg

IMAG0244.jpg

IMAG0258.jpg

IMAG0267.jpg

IMAG0275.jpg

IMAG0293.jpg

IMAG0297.jpg

IMAG0301.jpg

IMAG0305.jpg

IMAG0309.jpg

IMAG0310.jpg

the rest are here,
http://s1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... ide%2012/#
^please view them in reverse order^
Thats bad news on the pace Jeff :cry: I hope you get it sorted,

Charlie, as elpete found out there is a shorter way up to the first descent but the climb to the mast is part of the heritage of the ride, it's a good challenge and got to be done :LOL: perhaps I could take the tortoise group up that way next year and meet the hare group at that point ? but it's not up to me :roll:
Lee.

As for bites only got one on my arm, it must be alright that avonskinsosoft dry oil spray ;)

Just got back to Brighton! :LOL:

Got to say, that was my favourite Retro ride so far. Brilliant route, ace riding buddies (as always) and nobody contracted Lymes disease. I will even admit do getting a bit homesick a couple of times, as I have ridden some of those trails many times back in the day. The pub after was brill too, shame I had to dash off to get my train. Highlights for me were the Hillclimb Challenges, the smokers being some of the first up the hills, and Letmetalktomark taking a slow motion tumble into the bracken :LOL:

MASSIVE THANKS to the organisers, and to all who held gates open, pointed the way, and most importantly, for all the smiles and laughs along the way. Retrobike rules!!!

Oh, and special thanks to John and Paul for awarding me a prize. Really appreciated. And to Spence for the booze. Legend!

Thanks again to Paul, Martin and Lee and anyone else involved for organizing a fantastic days biking in the peak district ! This is only the second time I have visited the area on a bike and both times with retrobike have been thoroughly enjoyable . Great to meet up with everyone again top bunch of lads very friendly can't wait for the next one hope we get blessed with the weather like we did this time.

Rob Atkin":3nq919s8 said:
I was comparing myself against the ride last year and was chuffed to be able to ride all the way up to the radio mast, no walking! I did stop for a breather 3/4 times but was determined to make it. And I wasn't the last one up!

Well done Rob, that climb is a bugger and not helped by the way the track turns away from the mast, so that you are still climbing, and then turns back in, so that the mast is no bigger than it was before. That gets me each time.

Here's a photo of you getting close to victory over the hill. Note that you are blurred because you were travelling too fast to focus! I tried to get a photo of everybody who came up after me but it's been slow sorting out each one and working out who is who- some of them are from a long way away.

RobAtkin.jpg

Ladybower Res.
Viewfromtheradiomast2012.jpg

Bamford Edge
StanedgeEdgefromtheradiomast2012.jpg

Stanedge Edge
StanedgeEdgefromtheradiomast20122.jpg

More to follow!

Bit slow on the aftermath here.

Another great retrobike ride as ever, good to see faces old and new with their (mostly) old bikes. Big thanks to Paul, Martin and Lee for organising the route and weather :) Also thanks to Bikefood for supporting the ride as ever.

A few quick highlights
* The weather. Marvellous.
* The turnout and banter. Top notch as ever.
* The bikes, top selection from slm's 80s Dawes survivor, to mr_ship's Klein.
* The hillclimb. Sorry Martin.
* The second even longer hill climb. Congrats to weeman :)
* The route. Yeah, it's the same as before but why change what works :D

See you at the Mynd.

Just been reading over, some nice pics and going to have to grab a few for myself.

As for the mast climb, I did it all in one this year without my 'tactical camera position' being needed like last year. In fact I was 3 or 4th up with Rich Aitch.
Though on uploading my results to Strava and obviously it's a popular 'segment' called Shatton Git after I guess the name of the area, I did it at an average of 3.3mph, 19:37mins.

Well until you see the John did it in 15:34mins at 4.1mph last year :LOL: and
http://app.strava.com/rides/22031212#393539973 for anyone that can see it

Back