Campagnolo Groupset Identification

501Brian

Dirt Disciple
I have taken this groupset off a 1989 bike. I have been told the rear is Chorus, but there's no ID marks on the front mech or shifters.

Is it safe to assume they are Chorus as well or are there any marks to indicate they are?

The photos of the 1989 range all look the same. I know where I am with Shimano, this Campag stuff is all new to me.

Cheers.

408918_10151277306791177_1811979822_n.jpg

Rear mech is a Chorus.
To identify the front, look if the spring is chromed, if it is chromed is a Chorus (or better) Athena has a grey non-chromed spring.

Here's the Velobase entry for the rear mech.

Can't help with the levers (especially from the side); Record did have a cable adjuster at one point, but I don't know if they always did. Being such a straightforward component it's likely that one version was shared across more than one groupset, perhaps with a different finish.

The front mech isn't Veloce and it isn't Record, but I can't tell you more than that. I've checked my Record mech and it doesn't have a chromed spring, so I guess this wasn't the case for the entire C-Record period.

I have two different mechs which are either Athena, Chorus or Croce D'Aune and there are two differences between them:
- if viewed from above the end of the pivot arm on the opposite side to the cable clamp bolt has a chamfer as if it has been filed off.
- the same mech also has a narrow hole in the centre of the attachment bolt.

I suspect that the mech with these two features is from a lower groupset than the other, as the Veloce mech also has a hole in the attachment bolt. It's quite likely that Chorus and Croce D'Aune mechs are the same.

Glad to see you've identified the levers and front mech. Alembicbassman, excuse me "501brian".

For the benefit of the community, perhaps you'd be kind enough to share the information?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
ScillySuffolk":28fbaoog said:
Glad to see you've identified the levers and front mech. Alembicbassman, excuse me "501brian".

For the benefit of the community, perhaps you'd be kind enough to share the information?

To be fair he does say he's not sure!

Mark.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
To be fair he should have said "I don't know what these are", which he doesn't.

Saying they could be Chorus or Record implies that they aren't Athena or Veloce.

EDIT: The seller has now decided to amend the listing:CycleChat.

I have amended the listings to avoid any confusion.

I try to be as helpful as possible in the descriptions, I endeavoured to research the parts.

The help from here has been great as I only joined a couple of days ago.

Sticking with Shimano from now on Campag stuff although nice quality is a bit of a pain.

Even Velobase is not reliable, the weight for the Chorus mech is wrong. It doesn't weigh 198g, it weighs the same as the standard finish.

Back