Will a short cage work for a 13-28?

monty dog":2rgcxvju said:
FWIW Campagnolo 10 short cage rear mechs will happily cope with a 29 rear sprocket.

And with a compact. I sometimes use Campag 10 speed compact with a 13-29 cassette on short cage.

rolf f":fgkruo8o said:
monty dog":fgkruo8o said:
FWIW Campagnolo 10 short cage rear mechs will happily cope with a 29 rear sprocket.

And with a compact. I sometimes use Campag 10 speed compact with a 13-29 cassette on short cage.

With regards to the above quotes, does this just apply with 10spd mechs?

Seems as often is the case there's a discrepancy between what campagnolo can 'officially' do and what you can get away with. For the new 10spd build I'm putting together my local Campag dealer advised me to use med cage for compact and 12-27.

riddim-track":137jhvhh said:
rolf f":137jhvhh said:
monty dog":137jhvhh said:

With regards to the above quotes, does this just apply with 10spd mechs?

Seems as often is the case there's a discrepancy between what campagnolo can 'officially' do and what you can get away with. For the new 10spd build I'm putting together my local Campag dealer advised me to use med cage for compact and 12-27.

I think that that ties in with the official line as I recall my 13-29 setup was one tooth greater than recommended. However, my impression is that the mech could probably handle 13-30 if such a cassette was available. Might be wrong but it doesn't feel as though it is right on the limit. I think (maybe wrong) that the more recent 10 spd rear mech manuals have dropped the reference to the 13-29 not being suitable for the medium cage which I'm not sure you can actually get anymore.

Back