1950s Claud Butler

Shaun, Holdsworthy were importing Campagnolo in the early 1950's. I thought Elsmar were much later. I gave up bike mending in 1966, and I can't remember Elsmar at that time. I knew Ron very well, and was also his largest retail outlet in the south.
My brother-in-law was doing PR work for Elsmar in the early 80's after he left Ron. (Ken Evans)
I could always get the top quantity rates from Kitching because I could put in an order I knew he would not have, and parts of it it would arrive sometimes much later. Holdworthy had standard quantity rates for Campagnolo, 40% for 6 pairs of hubs, and I used to buy the pedals 30 pairs at a time, also fiamme at crate rates, 25 pairs. Pretty boring. About 1965 Dave Russell was southern rep for Kitching. To remind you of the size of the lightweight bike market, by 1965 I had one assitant.
Keith

Here's a scan of a 1978 Cycling mag (Harrogate show special)...Advert for ELSMAR which suggests that they are Campag sole reps in the UK..Curious.

5tnxh.jpg

Shaun

Shaun, As I said, I can't remember Elsmar in 1966, but Holdsworthy were official Campagnolo importers in the early 1950's. Not sure it matters. I drove Ken to the 1980 cycle show, and by that time he was doing PR work for Elsmar (can't remember her name), and had a chat with Eddy Merkx, who was almost a chain smoker.
I used to buy Mavic rims from Ron, badged Milremo, and get them to put 3 or 4 pairs of those magic Scheeren 8 ounce rims in the middle of the crate. Beryl Burton used Scheerens in those days, with a 24 front, I always thought it a bit risky.
I thought I had forgotten all this, a bit off the subject.

Must admit I'm having trouble remembering the 1970's let alone the decade before :)

Some of our Campag stuff came from Barton on Humber via Billy Holmes (Silver in the Melborne Olympics IIRC) so not sure ELSMAR were actually 100% sole concessionaires LOL

The lightest I dared on the front was a 28 spoke Medale Do'or.

Anyway, back on topic......interesting history on the stem :)

Shaun

Thanks for all your advice, it's been most interesting.

However, I didn't win the auction (by £1) so it's academic now.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back