Traprain Trails

jonnymcenroe

Beating Jimmy Connors
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hey folks,

http://www.trapraintrails.com/

Couple of pals are setting this up in East Lothian.

I'm sure if you wanted to get involved and help with building work they wouldn't say no.

19p2x3.jpg

2cpesl4.jpg

Are they going to be building trails on Traprain Law itself or on the surrounding land? The reason I ask is I used climb there years ago and recall there were access problems in the last few years.
If you look at photo of Traprain on their Facebook page you can see the crags on south side of the Law. The access path went up between the dark green field and the sunlit wheat field.
Not sure but there may be problems digging to construct trails as Traprain Law is the site of an ancient Roman fort.

http://www.eastlothiancourier.com/news/ ... -breaker-/

Edited for spooling.

Hey OCP,

Entirely unsure, I will enquire - if that is the case then I doubt it'd be up the Law.

The surrounding land (farmland) was owned by one of the lads Dad and now belongs to the lad.

I'll ask him :)

*Edit - seems a huge fuss over the pathways!

Is he the son of the farmer mentioned here?

From UKClimbing
"Access notes
Take great care when parking at the bottom not block the road, nor access to fields.

Keep strictly near to the field edges when approaching to avoid damage to crops.

The access has been subject to some confusion, as of 28th May 2012, this was the situation:

essentially, the farmer who owned the fields on either side of the main access path had decided to combine them. I'm not going to go into the motives, its been done to death and is both irrelevant and now appropriate. East Lothian Council (with assistance from MCofS) had negotiated new access and parking to be provided at the end of the more westerly of the two fields.

Unfortunately the landlord has now passed away, and his will is in the hands of the executors. This is expected to take time to resolve, and the new path will not be put in place until the new owner goes ahead.

In the meantime, the new combined field is ploughed as though the old wall remains and we can access there."

And is this the son mentioned here?

http://www.eastlothiancourier.com/news/ ... -breaker-/

If it is him, not too good that he has tried to prevent access to crag.

Hey OCP

Yes it's the same lad.

I contacted him just now and he's asked I post this response.

"The access path was taken away by my father during a dispute with the council it is reinstated now and we will be putting in a purpose built car park for the climbers eventually but as for now the current path and parking stand as before.

We do need to consider the law and all its history but I see traprain trails as a way of promoting the use of the law, we will have no trails on the law itself, they are proposed to run along the wall line that is currently in place there may need to be various archaeological surveys needing to be done we are not at that stage just now but its at the forefront of our minds and will be taken very seriously.

The project is only an idea just now but hopefully with careful planning and good communication with groups that use the law already we can make a place for everyone to enjoy from walkers, bikers and climbers. If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to give me a shout on 07572261527.

Regards

Alistair Clark"

Good lad.

That sounds a good bit better. :cool:

Let's hope the future of Traprain Law and it's surrounding land can be used for the good of all users, including the farmer.

Long way from me, but it's really good to read that response from the landowner, very positive and I think a good indication of the way attitudes have changed in recent years. Now lets hope it doesn't drag out forever... :D

Back