On One Whippet Carbon Hardtail Loveliness

humanoid1989

Kona Fan
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOCWHND/on_one_carbon_xc_whippet_un_decaled_frame

I'm getting one of these :p

I really fancy a carbon hardtail and this ticks all the boxes.
Looking at it i'll need a new integral headset, a bolt on front mech and a shorter stem as the top tube is two inches longer than the norm but now iv'e noticed the bottom bracket is a bit weird. Will my Shimano Hone set up work? On One say it needs a BB 92 press fit- whats the difference?
Who owns one, what's it ride like?

Show me yours ;)

Pretty sure i cam across bb92 the other week.
Like this:
31i-Zgqq%2BBL._SL500_.jpg

Just a press fit bb. Will work fine as long as you get a correct size axle one.

JamesM":3quj71uf said:
I didn't know you could get bolt on MTB front mechs!!!
It's the modern form of an E-fit mech isn't it? I don't think it's a very good idea to put a clamp around a carbon tube.

Anthony":2u4d5nvq said:
JamesM":2u4d5nvq said:
It's the modern form of an E-fit mech isn't it? I don't think it's a very good idea to put a clamp around a carbon tube.

Clamps around carbon tubes, who would of thought carbons bars would catch on?

The front mech clamp would be the least of my worries.

Anthony":1ul5r1hi said:
JamesM":1ul5r1hi said:

Sketchyxup":31rdi872 said:

I don't agree. I've seen plenty of steel and aluminium seat tubes damaged by over-tightened front mech clamps, but I've never seen a handlebar damaged by either the stem clamp or the shifter clamps - bar ends yes, but that's because it's weaker at the very end of the tube. I think the explanation is that handlebars are a thicker gauge than a seat tube (and carbon handlebars are generally aluminium-reinforced).

Dont quite me on it but as far as i recall the fsa mtb cranks/bb's use 24mm axle. A few others also, all you need is 24mm axle. Raceface/shimano/gusset/hope (amongst others).

Anthony":110wcc6m said:
Sketchyxup":110wcc6m said:

I don't agree. I've seen plenty of steel and aluminium seat tubes damaged by over-tightened front mech clamps, but I've never seen a handlebar damaged by either the stem clamp or the shifter clamps - bar ends yes, but that's because it's weaker at the very end of the tube. I think the explanation is that handlebars are a thicker gauge than a seat tube (and carbon handlebars are generally aluminium-reinforced).

Bars certainly are much thicker gauge than seat tubes.

I can't recall seeing any frames 'damaged' by overtightened front mechs though, just paint.

Using a bolt in arrangement rather than clamp means a change of problem, rather than removal of a problem.

Ring clamping a carbon tube is one thing, exposing a delicate thin carbon wall to localised flex is another.

:)

Back