Which Dremel?

I had a Dremel that died, and the wife, bless her, bought me a cheap clone out of Woolworths.

It is crude but has all the functions and as it has never broken I have never replaced it.

The caveat already proffered by LFG to buy quality attachments is the key. The cheap ones fall to bits, which can be bleeding dangerous when you are working close up.

Happy birthday in advance. New car, new tools! Heaven! :)

PS Does you Touran still have the button to knock the Traction Control off?

The bloody S Max has that in a menu, which is lethal when you hit a patch of snow, etc.

:)

Cheers, chaps, so it sounds like mains powered is the way to go. I'll ask her for the 3000. Attachments and options will be the basis of presents for the next few rounds of christmas and birthday, I guess.

highlandsflyer":1yrw6duf said:

The bloody S Max has that in a menu, which is lethal when you hit a patch of snow, etc.

Cheers. I don't know about the traction control control (as it were), I'll look and report back when I collect the car on Tuesday afternoon.

incorrigible":z4qz5dop said:
Be sure to get the 3-foot-long Flex Shaft extension as well. That way, you can choose to hold it either like a pencil or a like handlebar grip, depending on the level of control you want. To me, gripping the Dremel by itself without the extension is like holding a baseball; not nearly as much control as when the extension is used.

I was doing some cutting recently. I used it without flex-shaft and could not get used to it. I am simply used to use Dremel with flex-shaft.
As for bits I also done mistake of buying some cheap stuff.
As excercise in changing bits it was good,otherwise not.Grinding wheels disintegrating,grit not holding on sanding wheels etc.

rider":1srt5rxy said:
incorrigible":1srt5rxy said:
Be sure to get the 3-foot-long Flex Shaft extension as well. That way, you can choose to hold it either like a pencil or a like handlebar grip, depending on the level of control you want. To me, gripping the Dremel by itself without the extension is like holding a baseball; not nearly as much control as when the extension is used.

I was doing some cutting recently. I used it without flex-shaft and could not get used to it. I am simply used to use Dremel with flex-shaft.
As excercise in changing bits it was good,otherwise not.Grinding wheels disintegrating,grit not holding on sanding wheels etc.

How is the handset for vibration? i was thinking of getting one as the main unit does cause a bit of numbness in the fingertips if youre using it for extended periods

grahame":2ce9c4pa said:
Cheers, chaps, so it sounds like mains powered is the way to go. I'll ask her for the 3000. Attachments and options will be the basis of presents for the next few rounds of christmas and birthday, I guess.

highlandsflyer":2ce9c4pa said:

Cheers. I don't know about the traction control control (as it were), I'll look and report back when I collect the car on Tuesday afternoon.

The Touran has a button down by the gear stick for "ESP off". I do not intend to press it unless I'm out and about in heavy snow.

Yes, that is where our one was, and it is useful in snow and when you hit a roundabout covered in slick, or a stretch under woods with rotten leaves.

How are you enjoying it so far?

I am thinking about another MPV for the London end, and the Touran is up there now I am tired of Ford!

So far, so good. It is like a fat Polo (my wife's car), which is a good thing, as it makes it easier to switch from car to car - she's not great at remembering different layouts.

Car Giant always seem to have 15 to 20 fairly recent Tourans available for about 1k - 1.5k less than you'd pay at a VW dealer.

Thanks for all the advice.

My lovely wife got me the Dremel 3000 mains powered one.

Unpacked it this morning, and used it for the first time this afternoon. I used one of the grinding discs that is included in the kit (from Amazon, I understand) to cut a bit of 3.5mm thick steel on my bike trailer hitch to a shape that fits better with my crossbike's rear dropouts.

Awesome - how did I survive this many years as a man without one? I'm now wandering through the house and garage looking for other "essential jobs" to use it on.

dyna-ti":3cxaksru said:
rider":3cxaksru said:
incorrigible":3cxaksru said:

How is the handset for vibration? i was thinking of getting one as the main unit does cause a bit of numbness in the fingertips if youre using it for extended periods

I used flex-shaft before for prolonged periods of time (say 10 hours) and if I take care not to bend it too much (you do notice when it is bend too much it starts to make funny noises and vibrations too) then it was all fine. Not so much me! Dremel could go all night long, but me not so flawlessly... :oops:

Back