Will a short cage work for a 13-28?

riddim-track

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
As the title says, I'm thinking of swapping my cassette from a 12-23 to a 13-28, just wondering how well a short cage rear mech will take to it?, I got 53/39 at the front.
Thanks, Adam

I think it will struggle with the capacity 28-13 = 15 plus 53-39 = 14 which is 29 in total. Some mechs can't handle a sprocket as big as 28 regardless of capacity due t the angle of the parallelogram.

The data might be printed on the back of the mech (Max T and Capacity) or you might need to look it up online.

mmm, no nothing on the back of the mech, it's an old 9spd Athena, maybe I'll scale things down to 12-25/6 I don't think I can splash out on a new mech at the mo.

Thanks Terry

I have run shimano 1056 short cages on a mountain bike with an 11/28 with no problem, should imagine the Campag will be pretty much the same ;)

hhmmm. ok I've got a 10 spd 12-27 cassette in the spares box, maybe I'll put that on as a trial, I realize the spacing/indexing will be all over the place but it might give an indication whether it's 'doable', Ta

I am not sure if a campag mech will run with a 28T large sprocket. Shimano short cage mech will be fine just but campag mechs are not the same design. 27T seems to be the maxium on modern 10 speed campag short cage mechs. In fact a 12-27T with a compact chaiset worked fine with a veloce 10 speed short cage mech.

bm0p700f":2kxgscue said:
In fact a 12-27T with a compact chaiset worked fine with a veloce 10 speed short cage mech.

That's interesting to know, I assumed that would require a med. cage. The 12-27 in the spares box is for my current new build which will have a 50/34 and I bought a med. cage for it.

Thanks all for the info

Officially 9-speed Campag will run 39-53 on 11-26.

With a bit of leeway you should be able to get a bit more range out of it but 28T is probably pushing the limits a bit too far unless you can find a longer screw to push the top pulley further down.

Back