Rear derailleur Sachs Huret

Re: Sachs Huret

cipolinni":3phrpzzx said:
Hi Brian
I have an original 80s sachs huret rear mech,which were fitted to the Raleigh Banana then
Let me know if interested,i can post some pictures.
All the best
Cipo (Malc)
Hi malc ,i will let you know my friend if not happy with new one ,best wishes Brian.

poweredbypies":a4kz9itm said:
I have a short cage sach huret classic rear mech bought in error could do with new jockey wheels if thats any use.

Thanks very much for offer ,Brian

Re: Sachs Huret

scarrabri":2az2cykj said:
cipolinni":2az2cykj said:
Hi Brian
I have an original 80s sachs huret rear mech,which were fitted to the Raleigh Banana then
Let me know if interested,i can post some pictures.
All the best
Cipo (Malc)
Hi malc ,i will let you know my friend if not happy with new one ,best wishes Brian.
but thanks very much ,Brian.

Ah the Sachs Huret,.. they were made in their thousands, and whilst not particularly complicated or good looking, there are plenty of them still on working bicycles, I have one on my 'mystery' frame, and whilst it's not the coolest thing to look at, and i would like something smoother and more modern,... It has lasted at least 20 years of use, and to that end i shall just be stripping, cleaning, and rebuilding mine, in the hope that i can a few more years from it.

I hope the bicycle shop managed to sympathetically upgrade your ride dude! :)

Retro_10s":3a1lk005 said:
Ah the Sachs Huret,.. they were made in their thousands, and whilst not particularly complicated or good looking, there are plenty of them still on working bicycles, I have one on my 'mystery' frame, and whilst it's not the coolest thing to look at, and i would like something smoother and more modern,... It has lasted at least 20 years of use, and to that end i shall just be stripping, cleaning, and rebuilding mine, in the hope that i can a few more years from it.

I hope the bicycle shop managed to sympathetically upgrade your ride dude! :)
Hey i am begining to worry lol as i like my sachs huret ,it works well and it looks neat ,but i really want some better gears that i can manage to peddle with a little less effort which is why i have booked it in,my electric bike weights a lot more than my Raleigh and is so easy to ride without the power on because the gearing is so good and this is what i am looking for with my banana bike,so i too hope it looks ok,best wishes Brian.

Heres my new Gears

Well picked my Raleigh Banana bike up
and the 14 Gears ,new chain and shumano Der had been fitted and i dont think it looks too bad they work very well smooth changes and i can peddle with ease which is more than i could do ,the old girl is quicker than i exspected and a beautiful ride ,the cost was £56 and i think it was money well spent as i am really pleased ,has it got to be the brakes next ?i know i could do with some puncture proof tires ,but for now the weekend is upon us and its off to the Harecastle tunnel and Bathpool for me over the weekend ,i would like to thank everyone for there help because i could not have done the brilliant upgrade without you ,
just another question ,where does the 14 gears come from as there are only 7 fitted to the rear and two upfront lol very best wishes Brian.

005_zpsc0cf5a5c.jpg

003_zps35749a72.jpg

007_zps840cb78a.jpg

015_zpsff6c165f.jpg

015_zpsff6c165f.jpg

018_zps4ce620ca.jpg

It's a bit hunky chunky in comparison to what was on it, not what I would have chosen personally but the main thing is you're happy and it doesn't look too bad, colour coordinates well.

I see what they have done is fitted a regular freewheel with an extra large large cog giving, in effect, a granny gear. I think that's a shimano mega range freewheel.

Bet it's nice and tight/smooth now with the new drive train. Always a good way to improve a ride. Invest in a track pump and keep your tyres pumped up nice and hard too.

Not sure if the where's the 14 gears come from question was serious but basically if you're on the small ring at the front you have the seven gears on the back, then when you're on the large ring you have another seven gears; 14 in total.

:facepalm: Hey, as long as your are happy with it is what counts, and you have a nice clean gear shift.

Unfortunately, its exactly what I thought they would do. There are way to many bike mechanics out there with zero empathy for vintage. They all need putting in a darkened room and flogging with a wet towel for half an hour :)

Tel":2m6ubwzt said:
Not sure if the where's the 14 gears come from question was serious but basically if you're on the small ring at the front you have the seven gears on the back, then when you're on the large ring you have another seven gears; 14 in total.

Sorry to wheel out the pedantry, but for me calling this 14 speed is a bit misleading. You should avoid crossing the chain over by riding in the big chainring-big sprocket or small ring-small sprocket combinations.

It's something people new to cycling often do, but it wears the chain more quickly, and could potentially lead to breaking the chain.
Since it's probably not advisable to use the two big-big and small-small
combinations, it would be more accurate to call a bike like this a 10 speed really.

Like I say, sorry for the pedantry, but most people new to road cycling with
double rings (me included) make the mistake of crossing the chain over, but it's not a very good habit.

Cheers,

Johnny

Back