Help Identifying An Old Frame

SteveRobbo

Retro Newbie
Hi - I would appreciate some help identifying an old road frame. The bike was my dads and he got it in the early/mid 70's. It is badged up with Mercian decals (and was when he got it). I took it to Mercian but they said it was not one of there's, but it was still a 'good frame' worth restoring.

Hopefully (?!) I have attached some photos. The number on the rear drop out is 63126. The detail on the BB is NERVEX 61 64 D22(2) E58 - the 61 and 64 are both degrees and the (2) is a smaller size 2.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated as I am keen to restore this to its original format - the guy at Mercain said his best guess was that it was a Bob Jackson if that is of any help.

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_0123.JPG
    IMG_0123.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_0124.JPG
    IMG_0124.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_0125.JPG
    IMG_0125.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_0126.JPG
    IMG_0126.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 312
Looks like the output of a quantity producer, possibly late 1950's, but could do with pics including forks. Any clues in the headset and bracket set, which could well have been replaced. Looks like Agrati ends?
Most British small builders used domed and slotted stays and forks, and these are finished in a mass produced continental style, also no filed finish.

Hi Keith thanks for the reply - I do have the forks I'll put a pic up tomorrow. Late 50s would make sense as it would give time for the original paint job to lose its original look before someone tried to copy a Mercian?

Back