Building up mid school frame with new school bits?

losidan

Senior Retro Guru
Hello.
Would it work for me to buy a cheapo new school bmx off pinkbike and transfer over the bb, cranks and wheels to my 93/94 mongoose frame?
Seems the cheapest option for getting it into a rider....Or wont it all match up size wise with this new fangled new school malarky....

few of things may cause issues

1. bottom brackets, new school bmx tend to use mid or euro BB's so you will have buy a new bb to fit the new school cranks as mid school will be USBB

2. new school wheels are a 14mm rear axel and 10mm front, midschool bikes are all over the place, some were 10/10 some were 14/10 some were 14/14

3. gearing, chances are the new school bike you are looking at has 25/9 gearing. the 9t cassette rear hub cant easily or cheaply be changed to a larger gearing. mid school bikes ran at the smallest 36/13 33/13. chances are if you put 25/9 on it will foul the frame or even more common if you have chainstay mounted brakes then the chain will hit the top of the 990 mounts

4. headsets, early midschool was 1" late was 1"1/8 new school will be 1"1/8 but may be and integrated headset so wouldnt be backwards compatible with an older 1"1/8 headset

post up pics of th two bikes you are considering merging and it will give a good idea where the problem parts may be

Thought i had some pics of the frame bug cant find em. I'll try to gey some more done.
I wad thinking something along these lines as a donor....

Back