Specilized Stumpjumper M2

Bodhi The Dog

Dirt Disciple
Hi Folks,

Perhaps some could help with more specific details of this Stumpy I picked up yesterday.
My bit of searching would suggest that its a '95 going by the paint job however the frame, 'round the headstock, seems somewhat different.
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• ddd.jpg
    ddd.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,295
Have a look in the "Gallery & Archive" section under specialized and you will see what year it is. My guess is 1996 based on nothing at all other than 1997 was orange and 1998 mango I think.

Nice frame and forks.

Change those rusty bottle cage bolts though!

There were lots of different colour frames available on most, if not all years of M2 Stumpy production. Usually a choice of 2 colours on the standard M2 and then other colours for the M2 Comp and M2 Pro builds.

That said, I also think that this is a '96. Check the dealer book from the archives.
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/1 ... 73b4aaf11a

The dealer book calls it silver satin, but it looks like a light blue, and it agrees with bikepedia in the other colour options for '96, though bikepedia has no pics for that year.

The M2 is listed as light blue-
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... FNaBK5cmoY

and the M2 FS Comp as Dark blue or light blue.
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... FNa5q5cmoY

This light blue being a different shade of light blue that the standard M2, which I think is what you have.

Either way, very nice frames. Enjoy. ;)

I think I might have the original fork for that frame!! It's a rigid Direct Drive, interested?

EDIT oh, and it's nos too :D just scratches and stuff from storage.

Thanks for the replies, appreciate the help.

Had bit of a closer look over the bike today, and apart from the usual cable wear & expect scrapes on a 16yr old bike, the finish on the frame is not as bad as I first thought.
I was originally thinking of spray/powder coating it but it'll suffice for now.

The rear v-brakes are trash and the transmission will get the bin too but the wheel set looks good and is built on disc compatible hubs so she’ll get a disc up front and move the front deore Vee’s to the rear.

I’m thinking maybe 1x9 or 2x9 XT sourced from the ‘Bay on the cheap.
New seals for the Marzochi’s, I think the bushings are okay but we’ll see.
Tires are okay but will be forwarded to the Spare’s Dept. and she’ll inherit a pair of new PanRacers I've got knocking around.
The various steel allen heads are very tatty so I’ll be rummaging through my collection of stainless bolts, washers and various bits.

Unfortunately due to work I'm away from home for most of the week so without access to my workshop this'll be more of a winter project rebuild but we'll see how it goes.

Attachments

• Stumpy has a Shower 1.jpg
    Stumpy has a Shower 1.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 1,047
I think I might have the original fork for that frame!! It's a rigid Direct Drive, interested?

EDIT oh, and it's nos too just scratches and stuff from storage.

Hi Rio,

Thanks for the offer but I have my Lavadome SS set up rigid and I got this as I wanted a HT with suspension.
I was liking the look of ’08ish Stumpjumper HT's and when doing a quick search on fleaBay, Adverts etc. and I see this old M2 Stumpjumper on D/Deal in Mayo that’s not costing E600+ unlike the more newer ones advertised.
The online reviews & opinions of the older M2's were excellent so here I am with another old bike... :shock: :LOL:

I've also just bought 3 bikes in the space of a week so even I'd find it hard buying a fork that'd be sitting on a shelf just in case I get an urge to experiment :roll: :roll: :roll:

Back