Weinmann Symetric brake - very short bolt!

spatuluk

Saracen Fan
Feedback
View
Hiya!

I bought some Weinmann Symetric dual-pivot brakes, and I've found something a bit odd.. one brake has a long bolt, which will fit either the front or the rear with no probs, but the other has a REALLY short bolt that won't fit anywhere. :?

Here's a pic: http://www.flickr.com/photos/spatuluk/7999282170/

The bolt is 12mm long, and leaves less than 6mm with the nut on, like it was intended to fit on a flat bit of metal, rather than through a tube. I thought recessed bolts were a fairly recent thing, but could that be what it requires?

Does anyone know how these brakes were intended to be mounted? I'm reluctant to pry off the Symetric logo, but maybe I'll have to if it allows me to swap the bolt for something more usable. From what I've seen of newer dual pivots, there's probably nothing under it anyway.

I've just gone through a restoration on my old Puch. It has Weinmann brakes (not sure what pivot type).

The rear brake mounts on a drilled plate fastened to the frame and has a shorter bolt than the front one. Could your brakes need the same.

If it helps when I go home I will try and get some photos to show what I mean.

I couldn't see a way of removing the bolt, and other dual pivots don't seem to have a bolt that goes through to the front. It makes sense, actually.. I hadn't considered how it actually works - a bolt all the way through would make it a single pivot! :roll:

I just found some info about disassembling a modern dual pivot: http://www.kurtkaminer.com/tektro_nutted_r556.html

I expect the design hasn't changed much, so I can probably use that to get an idea of how to replace the bolt. Or wreck some perfectly good brakes. :p

I guess I now have to find a bolt. :?

Some brake bolts were very short and were meant for attaching to the flat plate accociated with twin-lat frames like the Raleigh Misty........few and far between though :(

Shaun

Yes, it was probably for a flat plate rear bridge. My old Viscount had one like it. You can just about make it out in this picture before I fitted the back brake:

IMG_5459.JPG

Back