80-90's Raleigh Lizard...

caferacer

Retro Newbie
Hi Guys, 1st post!
This is my new Raleigh Lizard. It's a usual story, had one when I was younger, want one again...
Sorry if you are a 'keep it original' enthusiast, but I've already started changing it to suit its future duties as a daily 5.5mile canal tow path commute.
It's pictured with the handlebars it came with, but I may experiment with the very 'Marmite' dropbars...
Ian

As it was...

ScreenShot_09-16-2012__182324.jpg
[/img]

As it currently is...

IMG-20120918-00173.jpg

Dont worry about the changing of parts to suit its duties.... a bike that is ridden is worth a hundred garage queens, anyday

Your legs had better be like machines to turn that gearing ;)
Are the forks bent? Look like they have had a smack into a wall
Get a better lock ;)

G

Legs and ass have earnt me the nickname 'J-Lo' so the gearing isn't concerning me too much at the moment, but it's all very early days..

I've only had the bike a day so it's all very new. I've just had a look at the forks using the MK1 eye-ball. I can't detect any major bendiness? I cant see any cracking or damage to the paint? I'm not sure the photo helps either...

Eyeball Mk1 is a very accurate guide, however Paintshop Mk1.1 indicates otherwise (OK, so both are probably equally crap :LOL: )

Red line is the straight line down the head tube - Green line is parallel with the fork edge, and while they are taper blades, they still look like they've had a whack
untitled_151.jpg

Doesn't necessarily mean there's any paint damage however.
My stem was completely devoid of any paint damage despite this quite obvious twist
main.php

Nice bike, I had a Raleaigh Montage in mint green

G

The Lizard was my first mtb(?) too....chose it cos it was the loudest bike in the Raleigh warehouse! If I ever see one locally....I'm avin' it....fact. Happy memories :D

caferacer":2vk0509z said:
Hi Guys, 1st post!
This is my new Raleigh Lizard. It's a usual story, had one when I was younger, want one again...
Sorry if you are a 'keep it original' enthusiast, but I've already started changing it to suit its future duties as a daily 5.5mile canal tow path commute.
It's pictured with the handlebars it came with, but I may experiment with the very 'Marmite' dropbars...
Ian

As it was...

ScreenShot_09-16-2012__182324.jpg
[/img]

As it currently is...

IMG-20120918-00173.jpg

I bet it still weighs as much as a small country?! :D

Yes, the downside in returning to retro bikes is the fact that we've been through Cro-mo steel, aluminum, titanium and now carbon fibre is parr for the course. And I'm not 100% sure what the Lizard is listed as being but I think secretly its 'scaffold tubing...'

Removing the original wagon wheels has helped.

I remember barely being able to lift it when I was younger and must admit to being a little apprehensive when I collected it.
...but then I have put on 8 stone in weight since I last had a go, so I guess its all relative!

However, I scour the internet on a daily basis in search of my holy grail, the Raleigh Michigan.

I'm beginning to get the feeling there are not many about...

Back