Raleigh Record Ace

NateD

Retro Newbie
Hi there,

Any help from someone in the know would be much appreciated!

Over the weekend I acquired a late 70's Raleigh Record Ace from a second hand bike shop in London. It's in good condition, has been professionally re-sprayed and re-built using decent components.

However, I think I got caught up in the moment and paid £350 for it. The guy in the shop seemed to know what he was talking about and reckoned the frame alone is worth that, but having doing a bit of digging around on the net I think I may have been done - which is the question I am asking? If anyone knows anything about the above model please help!

Ta! N

:facepalm: Oooops, unfortunately, I think you got caught in the moment.

They often come up on Ebay, poor ones £60, a nice original £175. I don't mean to twist the knife, but a good original will be worth more than a resprayed bike :(

But post some pics, you still have a nice quality bike :)

Thanks Brian - here's the blurb:

"Raleigh Record Ace. As painted by Mercian. New Schwalbe tyres and tubes. New bar tape, all new cables, new Campy cranks. Campy Record hubs on some date appropriate Mavic rims."

Probably well over priced, but as you say, still a nice little bike!!

Attachments

• Raleigh Record Ace.jpg
    Raleigh Record Ace.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 531
NateD":bds15siw said:
Thanks Brian - here's the blurb:

"Raleigh Record Ace. As painted by Mercian. New Schwalbe tyres and tubes. New bar tape, all new cables, new Campy cranks. Campy Record hubs on some date appropriate Mavic rims."

Probably well over priced, but as you say, still a nice little bike!!

Ahhhh :) Full Campagnolo and a Mercian Respray, now it makes more sense :)

Mercian do very good paintwork, whoever decided on the respray will have shelled out a good £120. It should be all Reynolds 531, so a nice frame with a quality restoration. Given what you've got I don't think you've paid hugely over the odds. Better than anything £350 will get you from Halfords :)

You haven't paid massively over the odds for that. There's always a little extra to pay when buying from a shop so I think you've done OK there.

Some nice silver mudguards will finish that off nicely along with a correct length chain as that one looks too short. The rear mech is straining at the leash in that gear.

It's a shame they put band-on gear levers on instead of using the braze-ons on the frame - a bit shoddy really.

Those minor niggles shouldn't stop you enjoying what is a quality bike.

Mark.

Looks like a nice ride, hope you can enjoy it and forget about the price!

You can't get much out of a shop for £350, so I wouldn't worry. If you like the bike, it's worth it.

It's probably more dangerous for your wallet looking around this website than making a one off purchase from a bike shop!

:D

Thanks for the feedback, put's my mind at rest somewhat!

I'm probably going to spend some more on it shortly so i'll post up some more piccies as & when etc.

Cheers! N

Back