Groovy

Anthony":or3mydls said:
This is quite interesting actually. Rody says that he aims to complete only about ten 'projects' per annum - that's why the waiting time is so long. He says his basic price for a steel frame starts from $1,500. but you can bet your life that his gross annual income is rather greater than ten x $1,500 = $15,000.

Basically, it sounds as though he operates like an artist, which he is well qualified to do. From what I've seen, his design work is exceptionally imaginative and elegant and his paint schemes must be about as inspired as you'll find. I can only assume that the average cost of his projects builds up to a lot more than the basic price. If you can afford it, I would imagine it is money really well spent - and you'll have plenty of time to save up your pennies before you have to hand them over.

But as an alternative, if you aren't so wealthy or you haven't got so much time or patience, TET Cycles, aka Tom Teesdale, would build you a custom Reynolds 853 mtb frame for $875. Considering what people are willing to pay for the Kona Hots that he used to build, $875 seems quite a bargain to me. And there's no mention on his website of any waiting list - if he was super-busy, no doubt he could set his prices a little higher. He seems to me to be a modest and highly-skilled worker and an updated custom Hot with geometry for modern forks, all for $875 seems like quite a good deal.

Don't forget Rody runs 2 full time jobs (one as a Firefighter/paramedic) and works over 90hours a week at least ;)
Would love to see him putting all his time and energy (which he has a lot!!) into bike building, but he has a family to support too
Easiest money seems to come from the LUV handles that he designed and still builds all by himself, the rest of his projects are mostly very, very time consuming......hours he doesn't always charge fully.

saltyman":22hysuma said:
you know what design and paint you want?

they are sweet bikes....id love one :cool:

Well , it's going to be single speed , that's for sure

As a lover of Fats , colour wise it will need to complement my Aquafade ( restored by Roody ) and my Grello - so green based , not sure if it will be 26" or 29" - have plenty of time to worry about the detail !

Should be a goodun :D I don't think I could wait myself but it'll be worth it I reckon! Oh and Ti or steel?

Back