Welsh exile in Lanarkshire ...

r28632

Retro Newbie
Hi Lads & Lassies,

After 17 years in exile from Welsh Wales my heart, family and tyre tracks are firmly rooted north of the border (at least until I can retire and escape the dreaded midgies of the West).

I've finally registered on the forum after many a trawling session. After selling my old Giant Cadex CFM-2 rigid MTB about 10 years ago I'm down to one remaining 'retro' steed - a red Kona MiniMula circa '97 vintage. Will post in the readers' MTB bikes section presently.

I've been MTB'ing since my mid-20s (mainly at Abercarn, Margam Park & Castell Coch back in Wales) and now generally get out to the trail centres when I get a chance (mainly Glentress, but also Mabie, Dalbeattie, Innerliethen). Time, weather and petrol costs seem to have limited the outings lately (and maybe my age .... I'm 1962 vintage) although I did try to tick a couple of boxes before my 50th by tackling some DH runs in Fort Bill, Innerliethen, Morzine/Les Gets and Kitzbuhel. Seem to be doing more local stuff lately just to keep active (back roads, Whitelee wind farm, forestry trails) but it's a wee bit too sedate so I'm on the lookout for some decent singletrack trails closer to Strathaven.

My other challenge is whether or not to sell or restore my beloved MuniMula. I picked it up many years ago from a friend in Edinburgh and have upgraded the forks (Indy to RS Psylo), brakes (Avids to Hayes HS33) and put on a shorter stem. Otherwise it's stock. I have to say that it's my most comfortabe bike and gives me zero back ache. It quietly chauffeured me along the West Highland Way a few years ago without so much as a whimper, I guess because the 125mm fork has slackened the ride angles.

My head says that I need to de-clutter the garage (already sold my DH bike) but still have 7 bikes of various descriptions left. My heart says "keep this baby" :?

Anyway, glad to be on the forum and looking forward to having my opinions swayed by you folks :)

All the best
Steve

Welcome Steve, being central should mean you can make it to one of our many rides - Whitelee I think is close to Gaz so look out for west coast night rides. In october we have a ride up my way in the sidlaws, very natural and tracing an old race route from the 90's

Thanks for the welcome, The Ken.

One of the lads at work mentioned a group (Walkers Cycling) who meet around East Ayrshire regularly (usually Wednesdays). There seems to be some partly connected singletrack south of the A71 through Darvel, Newmilns & Galston which might be worth a look.

Sidlaws looks braw. A bit of a trek to the Kingdom Of Fife for me but my step daughter is at Dundee Uni so I could collapse there afterwards. On second thoughts, student digs are pretty grim ;-)

Cheers, Steve

Sidlaws would be under 2 hours from you. Couple of Westies heading up for the ride, so maybe you could car share and split costs.

welcome to (mac)retrobike Steve,

I'm also in lanarkshire, a handfull of miles from you in larkhall originally hamilton (always got to throw that bit in so i'm not assumed to be a the rangers fan) :LOL:

definitely keep the kona, you'd only regret it

riding out from the house, i generally use chatelherault, strathclyde park, barons haugh natural reserve, clyde walk way, new lanark trails as they're all connected. not exactly wonder single track stuff, but it keeps you off the road and has many options allowing a 30min to 3hr run with minimal tarmac.

if these interest I'm you happy to share the detail, or show about them. although it's all skinny wheel road miles for me until mid oct

sounds like you've been riding over the ardochrig road at whitelees, a particular road bike fav of mine, do a fair few road miles taking in glassford, sanford, muirkirk, waterside, clyde valley etc

tbh i don't know of any great single track to us locally, certainly nothing thats going to compare to the runs you mentioned earlier. would be interested in hearing about the ayrshire single track if you find it.

cheers Graham

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!

Not surprised that the consensus is to keep the MuniMula ;-) I need to replace/service the headset, otherwise it's rideable. The trouble with this forum is that when folks post photos of their builds I just want to get the frame resprayed & powder coated and blinged-up .... as opposed to sticking it in the "For Sale" section!

@Clubby - Will look out for the Sidlaw dates. October looking busy though with some weekend work and the possiblity of a stag night (mine, I'm getting hitched in January!).

@Graham (GMac123) - Will keep you posted as and when I get the low-down on the Darvel singletrack. The Ardoch Rig road was my route to work at E.Kilbride from my home in Drumclog so I know it well. You may well have passed my house (near the Kirk) on the way back from Murkirk on your road bike. There are some forest trails at the back of Dungavel prison (all fire road) which brings you out on the road to Muirkirk, plus some more from Loudoun Hill round to the Moto-X track near Dungavel. Again, not technical but off-road with some up & down and plenty of sheep to eye up.

Also know the Glassford area pretty well (including the 'Glassert' Inn). I'll take a look at the trails you mentioned around Hamilton/Lanark. I've heard of a the Chateleraut & Lanark routes but they're in that 'twilight zone' where the trails are not quite on my doorstep and a bit too close for sticking the bike in the back of the car for a day out (when the magnet of Glentress is only an hour and a bit away)! That said, I'll drop you a PM if I need any quidance on routes.

PS. I'm a rugby fan (Llanelli Scarlets, for my sins) so I won't offended by your footie allegiencies ;-)

All the best, Steve

Just realised I should have posted this thread in the newbie section! :oops:

"MacRetro Newbies.... Introduce yourself here:"

Apologies to site admin folks. Feel free to shift this thread.

I've had a liking for Llanelli since they beat the All Blacks in '72.
And for Phil Bennet starting off that try for the Baa-Baas against the All Blacks in '73. :D Jeez, tours lasted a long time back then.:shock:

Been on tour to Wales twice (2006, 200:cool: with our rugby club, stayed in Stradey Park Hotel. Played against Mynydd-y-Garreg RFC both times.
In 2008 we had a Kiwi guy with us, him and a mate came over for 2007 World Cup, and they ended up playing for us. So we obviously told him about Llanelli beating the All Blacks in '72, he wouldn't believe us, thought we were winding him up. :roll:
It wasn't till we visited Stradey Park and had a drink in the bar/trophy room? that he saw it for himself. He wasn't a happy chappy that it was true. :LOL:
The reason we chose Llanelli to stay was because one of the guys in our club comes from there and had, I think, contacts with Mynydd-y-Garreg.

Latest posts

Back