change for its own sake. (a car thing)

cce

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
i've got a 2002 BMW 330Ci sport

it's worth about 3500-4000 on a good day. it owes me nothing, and is as cheap to run as a 230bhp, 18-inch wheeled car gets, and is generally great

buuuuuut....

i quite fancy getting rid of it for something else. No reason at all. Just that i've had it a couple of years and i fancy something else

thing is, i write down what i like in a car, a big torquey powerful engine, a nice interior, pin-sharp handling not really a thing, but i like a bit of hustle now and then. It also has to take a bike, which this can quite nicely.

and within my budget (which'd be this traded in plus a bit on top) and the result i keep coming back to is a 330ci sport...

so it really would just be change for the sake of change, and i'd actually most likely end up with something less good

anyone else suffer from this?

Get a well sorted Saab 9-3 Aero or Viggen.

Enough power to see off most things (Even M3's on occaision) tunable up to 400hp, decent ones with a well sorted chassis have razor sharp handling, fantastic interiors, and a boot big enough for several bikes

Mate ran a 328 and while i appreciated its quality and engineering, I found it cold and devoid of all charisma.
My Saab however had its own personality... it was a joy, everyday

G

cce":2ieidam0 said:
and within my budget (which'd be this traded in plus a bit on top) and the result i keep coming back to is a 330ci sport...

so it really would just be change for the sake of change, and i'd actually most likely end up with something less good
It depends how much 'a bit on top' is. You're bound to be ripped off on a trade-in, so it could be that your budget isn't much more than what that dealer would sell your 330Ci for. In which case, you couldn't expect to get a better car for it. On the other hand, if your budget could stretch to a similar BMW with half the mileage, maybe that would be a better car.

Is switching from a BMW to a Jaguar still a sign of old age?

Anthony":146scxgt said:
cce":146scxgt said:

It depends how much 'a bit on top' is. You're bound to be ripped off on a trade-in, so it could be that your budget isn't much more than what that dealer would sell your 330Ci for. In which case, you couldn't expect to get a better car for it. On the other hand, if your budget could stretch to a similar BMW with half the mileage, maybe that would be a better car.

Is switching from a BMW to a Jaguar still a sign of old age?

I'd probably look to sell the BMW privately actually - i'm not into getting mugged

i dont think it's a sign of old age when the jaguar has 400bhp...

Don't know why you don't like Derv. My Leon Cupra 150 TDi is very torquey and quick as a whippet. Only 1300 kg, so great power to weight, and remapping allows even better fuel consumption along with more BHP and more torque. When I'm not too heavy on the right foot, I average over 50 mpg without the remap

Pyro Tim":1kj9qchi said:
Don't know why you don't like Derv. My Leon Cupra 150 TDi is very torquey and quick as a whippet. Only 1300 kg, so great power to weight, and remapping allows even better fuel consumption along with more BHP and more torque. When I'm not too heavy on the right foot, I average over 50 mpg without the remap

because they smell, they sound horrible, the power curve is unpleasant and they break more than petrol engines due to poncey injectors and having extra bits like turbos?

economy is a moot point with me, i do about 8-9k a year

mine certainly doesn't sound horrible, and servicing is less than my old petrol cars, but fair enough, doesn't look like you do the miles to benefit from Derv anyway.

Back