Don't you hate it when your ceiling comes down...

BoyBurning

Karma King
Bontrager Fan
at 11 in the evening when you're just sat down on RB with a nice bottle of wine...

Top floor of the house where we don't venture.

GirlBurning hears a steady drip...

Up we go to investigate, the whole ceiling is bowing in the spare room.

Shit.

Clear what we can out the way and cover up what we can't move.

Into the attic, pipe burst at connection with expansion tank.

Mains off, drain the hot water...

Kerplunk!

Had obviously been going for a while as the lathes and ceiling were saturated, and we got everything out of the way with literally moments to spare.

Spooky thing is the same thing happened almost to the day last year in our old house. Except that time we were away on holiday and came back to find two ceilings down - the bathroom, and the kitchen below.

At least not as bad this time round I suppose!

Oh the joys of insurance calls in the morning then...

Bugger.

BB

I hope you have an 'expensive' carpet in there? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink!

...and some serious hi fi gear, blah blah blah.

I am not advocating dishonesty, but those insurance companies really rip us off so seeing as you have to make a claim anyway!

Hope you did not lose anything of sentimental value.

We had a waste pipe running through our cellar at the old house, and it backed up and leaked while tenants were in the house, the cellar was locked and full of old things that were pretty much irreplaceable. Nothing of real value, but glass plate slides of my ancestors and my grandfather's climbing records and such, I am still piecing together the remnants.

I know his doesnt help you , but to anyone else, when the ceiling starts to bow, get some buckets underneath and poke a hole in the ceiling to allow the water to drain. It may not save the ceiling from replacement but at least it may not collapse.

Sorry dude, hope your insurance company mans up to this.

Insurance, sold as a means to peace of mind, the reality is prolonged agony, increased workload and stress.

[Slightly off topic] my parents recently suffered a burglary in which the main losses were inherited antiques. The insurance company employs third party claim assesors whose role it is to argue down the value of any claim, my suspicion is any saving is they get a percentage on any saving. So my mum who is incredibly sentimental about items inherited from relatives is asked to produce receipts for the items. Not being able to, she goes back with values of similar items from auctions etc. Then to rub salt into the wounds is offered a lower price by the assesors, to be paid out in the form of high street jewellers vouchers, or 50% of that offer if taken as cash. My mum isn't so concerned about the money, to her the damage is the loss of sentimental links to her past. However the actions of the assesors and insurance company make it like being robbed twice.

All this after 20 years of premiums to the same company.

They are worse than the slagged up bastard that broke in.

[/slightly off topic]

I hope your experience is easier.

Insurance companies are morally bankrupt, inept, thieving scumbags.... It makes me fume that they are basically licenced robbers who will take your money on the promise of something to support you in a time of need, only to worm their way out of that commitment should the time arise

One insurer of mine a while ago supported me against a fake whiplash claim (he rolled backwards into me on a hill, claiming I hit him at 30mph) all the way to the day before court, then bent over and took it from behind, payed him £3.5k and smacked my premium up by £700

They can all go f**k themsleves as far as I am concerned
.... and relax :LOL:

G

Back