Kona 2+2 2011

gavinda":398b66op said:
Yeah it's got 2.1's on it . I'll run it like that for a bit ant see how it works. I ran 2.2 dmr's on the green bike before the change bit now that's 2.1 front an rear too.

I think the squished will be fine on skinny ones for now, but I will be looking t clearances and may move towards to plump tyres in the future.

I've not weighed the new one but my arm says it weighs the same as my rigid bike :) I guess things have moved on in twelve years huh? I'm looking forward to comparing it to my mates bikes. They ride downhill bikes XC :LOL: So I should still be the faster pup
Who'd have thought it? Haha, bikes have come a long way. My 'XC' hardtail has 170mm travel up front, 203mm disc brakes and a 1x9 drive train. Sounds like a downhill bike but it's light and controlled enough to ride XC on. Not 12 years ago it wouldn't have been!

Well I've just been out on my maiden voyage and i have to say I'm not impressed.

More like stunned :LOL:

It's awesome. Ok it's my first try of full sus but its waaayyy batter than I expected.

I took it around Swinley Forest for a break in for about two hours and it just kept on giving.

I took this from the top of a steep and loose climb that I always struggle with on the rigid. Even with the Maxxis Aspens which look pretty slick it despatched the hill with ease and without me collapsing at the top. :LOL:

IMG_2063.jpg

Mandatory bunker shot. Yes that's my thumb :oops: I'm no David Bailey.

IMG_2065.jpg

all in all I'm super pleased :D

gavinda":2otgctr4 said:
I've not weighed the new one but my arm says it weighs the same as my rigid bike :) I guess things have moved on in twelve years huh?

Try mentioning that in the ->97 section. They're always babbling on about how modern bikes are heavier than old ones. :LOL:

Really nice bike. I'm looking into a full suspension XC as well, but for street use (you don't want to know how bad the roads here are).

Twas a massive bargain from Crc. 50% off!

The suspension seems quite soft and runs at the lower end of the travel. Should the bike have come with a manual advising on setting the suspension? I only ask as te bike was delivered to the kids next door as i was at work and the box was damanged and open at both ends when they received it. It was missing the pedals and there was zero paperwork in the box, just the bike.
Does anyone have experience ordering bikes from chain reaction and know if this stuff gets sent separately? I've emailed them already but they always take a few days to answer and I'm curious. Cheers.

That's a Reba RL, is it not?

Here's the detailed chart (which should also be on a sticker that is located on the rear side of the left lower fork leg) :

<140 lbs : 70-90 psi
140-160 lbs : 90-105 psi
160-180 lbs : 105-120 psi
180-200 lbs : 120-135 psi
200-220 lbs : 135+ psi

The fork has a positive and a negative air chamber. Both need to be checked/adjusted.
The valve for the positive chamber is underneath the cap with the "+" mark, on the left side, on top of the fork crown.
The valve for the negative chamber is on the bottom of the left leg.

Basically the number of psi in both positive and negative chambers would be 2/3 of your body weight in lbs.
The Reba's maximum recommended pressure is 200psi, just in case you're near the 300lbs mark.

Softness may be the result of too low pressure, but also of different pressures in the positive and negative chambers. It is generally advised to start out with the same pressure on both ends.
You can always use different pressures to make it a bit more responsive or harsher, but the difference between + and - will never be big.

As for determining the ideal pressure for your weight and style, I'd suggest starting out with a higher pressure than recommended for your weight.
Use the red rubber band on the right inner leg to see how much the fork compresses during a ride. Just slide it down to the lower leg and go for a ride. Then work from there until you're happy with the stiffness.
Ideally the rubber band should be at least 1/2" from the crown at the end of any ride. If it's closer than that, you need more air to avoid bottoming out the fork.

It takes time to set it up, but this is a great fork. You'll need a good pump for adjusting it, and I'd recommend the original RS one. It allows you to let air out as well as putting it in.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rock-Shox-Hig ... 544wt_1396

No idea on the rear shock though. Still, a Google search will help you find a PDF of the manual.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
thanks very much dude, just scored one on teh bay for £25 posted, the link you gave me was a little sus, but the info was great, ill wait till this arrives and see how it changes things for me.

in the meantime, i must remember the heli tape before riding again, some dings and scuff marks from the cables :cry:

Looks pretty tidy and a cracking bargain too.

Modern suspension technology is pretty damn good, especially when combined with modern tyres and brakes.

I use my SX for XC type rides and its not too bad despite having 160mm forks and 1x10 gearing. It's not the quickest up hill, but it gets down pretty sharpish.

thats another surprise for me, I've run 1x? for the last 10 years at least, but all of a sudden I'm back to 3x10 :LOL: it's a bit of a handfull :D .

Back