Which bike do I sell/keep, problem solved!!!

riddim-track

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Ok guys I need some help to make a hard decision. I need to make space for the next project and raise a little extra cash to soften the blow. Sadly it means I need to part with one of these two

1991? Basso 'Coral' - This one fits me like a glove and is a really nice comfortable ride. Hard work in the hills though due to the weight and close ratio at the back.

1994 Giant Cadex CFR-3 - I sold this one as a frameset pending payment a few months ago then the sale fell through so I built it at the before the summer and really enjoyed riding it through the South Shropshire hills all August now I'm not sure I can say goodbye.

BTW. the bike behind the Dolan box is a gaspipe fixed gear bike which lives on the turbo, it would be my first choice to sell but wouldn't raise any dough.

c03d15e0.jpg

ab09169e.jpg

I'd say keep the Basso.

The clincher being "This one fits me like a glove and is a really nice comfortable ride."

Yeah you've got a point.
I'm toying with the idea of swapping the 10spd group from the Giant over to the Basso... but then all that messing around with bar tape and cable :roll:
...and I've really grown quiet fond of this purple Giant

I've got a soft spot for Basso's.........my "Modern" bike is a Basso as I think the frames are quite nicely made. Even though Mr Basso the rider was somewhat of a cheat LOL

Shaun

The Basso does have some nice detail and the columbus tubes seem to eat up road rattle.
To be honest I find the saddle on the Giant better, its a fairly cheap Selle Italia 'Flow XO' but after 2 years on my commuter it got used to me, however going on looks alone the turbo wins hands down.

Just to clarify the Basso is running 9spd Veloce 53/39 12-23 the Giant 10spd Veloce 50/34 11-25.

Anyway it's 1 either way, anyone else got an opinion?

I don't know anything about Basso the rider (except the current one) in fact I can't even seem to find much info on the bikes. I wouldn't mind knowing exactly the year of mine, the serial no is 9305701, not sure if that sheds any light on it.

I'd put the 10 speed groupset on the Basso and sell the rest of the bits separately. (the sum of the parts is probably worth more than selling the bike complete).

Mainly because I like European bikes more than their far eastern offerings.

vivelesalpes":33r1t1r1 said:
Mainly because I like European bikes more than their far eastern offerings.

I must admit I do feel pretty trendy when I ride the Basso through central London on rare occasions :oops:

I would say keep the Basso but built up with the compact chainset/10spd gruppo. Above you say the Giant was sold until the deal fell through so really you had already made a decision (the right one IMO).

Im not knocking Giant frames but I think the Basso has much more class.

Coincidentally I'm having a similar problem. Built up a new CAAD 5 f&f in Spring as I fancied something a little lighter than the 90's steel rigs I ride. It is 'bonkers' fast, even up hill. The Alu down tube is massively oversized and has a BB to match. It feels as though every ounce of energy from each pedal stroke is translated into forward motion. BUT the pay off... it is no where near as comfortable to ride as my steel Merckx frames.

A bike has to go and I'm pretty sure it will be the Cannondale.

Back