Brompton's...

they have a cult following, never tried one myself, i think id rather have a hack bike and roof bars on the car, ride up, whack it on, get home.

I know a lot of people swear by them and a lot of serious cyclists ride them as commuters but where I live they tend to be ridden by people who's ambition in life is to work in a trendy job in London.

Shame as they fascinate me with some of the tech and ideas on them.

Used to sell Bromptons BITD myself, can't recommend them enough mate, one of the only small folders that ride like a proper bike should. Only word of warning is the second hand resale value is still quite steep such is their demand! For what you require it for a Brompton sounds ideal, great fun too :D

The German 'Birdy' (Reise Und Muller) fold-ups are tidy, tanned 50 mile of canal on one we have around the place.. a few times and like the poster above 'not a twing'. There's also the british Airnimal models....all re-sell with parity to the Brompton models.

I bought my Brompton in 1987. It folds/unfolds really quickly and will easily and will fit in the boot or foot-wells of most cars. As the chain is sandwiched in-between the folding halves of the bike and so there is little chance of getting oil on the car.

The ride is exceptional for a folding small wheeled bike. The wheelbase is short and the riding position is very upright with most of the body-weight over the rear wheel. This is the same trick that Geoff Apps uses on his Cleland off-road bikes and means that the front wheel is more likely to ride over potholes etc than fall into them.

Bromptons have good handling, braking and acceleration and the hub gears mean that you won't get stuck in the wrong gear at traffic lights etc.

They don't climb steep hills very well but tightening a hose-clip around the suspension elastomer improves this. They don't bunny-hop very well as this makes the rear wheel tries to fold up under the bike.

I would highly recommend a Brompton.

A budget alternative would be an old folding Moulton. Compared to the Bromptons, the folding is rubbish, but they ride really well.

2 miles?

roller skates for the win.

you could even put a blue flashy light on your helmet and be the rollerbobby.

sylus":otrde7vs said:
what about an airnimal

I have never ridden an Airnimal but they look a lot larger than a Brompton when folded. Though this is mainly down to their use of larger wheels and bulky suspension systems.

Their ridding positions do look much more like those of mainstream bikes and they offer both straight bars and drop bar versions.

Personally, when it comes to riding in traffic, I would prefer the greater all-round vision a very upright riding position. As it's much easier to keep track of what is going on behind you when your head is upright.

I have been considering a folding bike too as our office is moving.

I have ridden a Brompton for 3 days in a row (borrowed it) doing what you did - car part way then ride in.

My thoughts? I thought it was heavy, very old fashioned in its construction, crap brakes, poor handling (very difficult to stand up and pedal when you get a steep bit). I tried the 6 speed one and the gears made no sense at all, 2 different shifting methods, derailleur and hub gear.....

The one big advantage is that it folds up the smallest of any folder, and you can get really neat luggage that fits to it.

But the price? Wowsers, its just daft!

On the other hand I've been looking into Dahon bikes. I thought about the Eco model which is only £350. 6 speed rear mech gears, proper 20 inch wheels so roll better over bumps. I didn't think they'd be great quality but I've just seen one in a shop and they look great. Alloy frame, stem etc. Much better looking than the Brompton too. Nice flat bars and proper grips, locking mechanism seems very secure and oversized. Proper V-brakes. The only weak point was the cheapy rear hub but I reckon I could spend £50 getting a new rear road hub and fitting it to make it more reliable and it'd still be a bargain.

It doesn't fold up quite as small but plenty small enough for a car boot.

I honestly don't know how Brompton get away with it. How can a bike which costs that much have crappy caliper brakes? Why do they have their own weird wheel size? I'd love to support a UK company but I just don't think they are worth the money.

I've also looked at Kansi bikes as they seem to be able to handle some kerb hopping and more "spirited" riding but they aren't cheap and look like a Dahon frame - no dealers round me so hard to see one in the metal.

Back