Brompton's...

ti-fat-man

Senior Retro Guru
Due to a massive work restructure (bosses are calling it a North Hub and South Hub Model!) my office has been declared 'over prescribed' and I've been shafted off to another office...boo
This new station has absorbed all the panda's & staff from three other closing nick's, so the bosses have kicked out all the staff from their carpark to accomodate the extra vehicles! Expecting some 200+ staff daily to migrate into the nearby streets and park up - community cohesion at it's finest!

Anyhows, it leaves me to drive from Bedford to Luton and park up somewhere for the first leg (sorted got a tidy Citroen C1 for that).

The second leg is going to be bike. A college and it's nearby streets are an obvious venue, about 2 miles from the town centre. Thought a Brompton might do the trick. Never had one, never really taken an interest in one, but trying full speed now to research the product subject.

Feedback/dealers/do's-don't s/tips/tricks/mods/pics...most welcomed.

Cheers Al.

+ fun to ride, easy to fold, loads of spares available quickly and cheaply, feel like a transformer when you fold un fold them.

- pain in the arse to service, rear gear set up needs to be kept pretty clean to work consistantly, bars are very narrow if your a big guy/gal, flex's alarmingly(soon get used to it though).

True...just don't fancy the splitting up, breaking the front and rear wheels off. the jiggly of placing the main frame through the small hatchback glass window apature. The same faff of the re-build - the wheels the brakes...the likleyhood of a clash with the greasy rear mech and chain.....all that when i'm still not still woken up or end of the day dead beat tired.

Fold-up seems less agg somehow.

Aaaaah, yes.
It has all become clear now, please excuse my early moring stupidity!

I like the look of the Bromptons, if only for the novelty factor. I know of someone who has to use one because he travels by train in rush hour.

What about a bike rack?
(It's still early, I'm allowed one more punt with the silly suggestions!)

I have been toying with the idea of a 2nd hand bickerton of late. I quite like the rarer country model. Any one any experience on these?

Bromptons. love them. Ridden mine all over. Nippy, agile, super fold, British, comfy, good resale value, the superlatives are endless.

Did this ride a couple of weeks ago on mine. 43miles not a ache or pain anywhere.

There are not many things I would whole heartedly recommend but a Brompton is one of them.

JeRkY":2hg2yy5i said:
I have been toying with the idea of a 2nd hand bickerton of late. I quite like the rarer country model. Any one any experience on these?
Bickertons are horribly flexy and nasty to ride.

Back