Stage 7 Tour of Britain

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
As it was practically on our doorstep... well an hour and a halfs drive away, my son and I went to watch a bit of the TOB. I had already recce'd the road between Tiverton and Ashburton and so we headed for the very top of the last climb.

My son has been to TOB before and warned me that there would be a lot of people, he wasn't flippin kidding, Dartmoor was full! In the end we couldn't get to the top of the climb, but we did end up right on the line of the 3rd KOM.

The atmosphere was great, like a big street party, with Skoda handing out flags and other bits n bobs. As we still had over an hour wait, I went to buy myself a coffee, only to find that Skoda were giving it out free.... NICE.

While I was waiting for my coffee, a bloke in walking boots, shorts, sun hat etc came across and started in at the girls serving the drinks "what are you doing here? Who gave you permission to set this up? How much are you charging for all this? You are not allowed here, this is private land!"

Just as I was about to tell this w*nker to shut the fcukup, a guy from Skoda appeared and told the bobbly they had permission from the TOB organisers, and that the drinks were all free. This blunted the ar$eholes sword a bit, but he continued to rant as he was directed towards the TOB organisers car.

I was absolutely livid, what the hell planet is this bobbly on? The car park was packed, there must have been a couple of thousand people just at this one point and probably close to a million in the National Park, all there to enjoy the sunshine, atmosphere and the brief moment of seeing and experiencing the TOB.

After that, I went back to the line, saw Basso, Sanchez, JTL, Cav and all the rest come flashing through, including the lad who was dead last, about eight minutes behind everyone else, who got a HUGE cheer from the crowds.

It was a great morning out, even allowing for the bobbly to$$er.

I'm off to see the finish tomorrow with me dottir. The cobbles of Guildford High Street should shake things up a bit, especially if wet...

I had a great time at Stage 5, Stoke.
The start and finish both being local, 3-4 miles away.

I only managed to get a free cap/bottle/gels :)

Was so good in Trentham for the start as we got to mingle with the riders, chatting etc. Apart from Team Sky, couldn't get near their bus. They stayed in it until the sign on and rode through barriers to get there. The other teams were sitting and chilling in the sun for about an hour before start.

The end of stage 5 was an anti climax, no sprints, just a 'stroll in the park' finish. de Maar did bloody well though after falling off about 7 miles before the end.

We had people bloody moaning about traffic delays, being late for the kids' school, can't get across town after work etc etc. Miserable shits. Probably the same folks who moan that nothing good ever happens around here.

I took some pics, here's a few:

http://sdrv.ms/RUXZNL

We were at Stage 3, for the sprint, and the finish in Dumfries :

It was great, loads of people, fantastic atmosphere.

Looking forward to tomorrow, I'm going to try and watch the finish up the cobbles in Guildford. Any recommendations where to park and get to the high st.

Thanks

I would try to park somewhere along the Epsom Road and walk down to town, puts you on the right side of town that way too and an easy get away afterwards with easy access to the A3.

Whatleymeister":371li796 said:
I would try to park somewhere along the Epsom Road and walk down to town, puts you on the right side of town that way too and an easy get away afterwards with easy access to the A3.

Cheers :cool:

jujupunk":1g2a2l0u said:
Whatleymeister":1g2a2l0u said:

Cheers :cool:

If it's anything like Dartmoor, then you need to get there early, as there will be a LOT of people. There were probably as many people there yesterday for the TOB than normally visit the place in the whole of a normal September.

Record ride for me yesterday, went to watch the tour of britain on Dartmoor, drove to Cullompton and rode to two bridges.

No warmup staight into a steep climb at 185bpm, ruined the rest of the ride in all honesty I was aiming to do my first century. Quads / Hamstrings / calves all cramped at 35miles just as I'd made it up onto dartmoor, spent 10 mins stretching them out and got going again. Rode the rest of the ride with various states of leg cramp and hit the second steepest hill of the day dead on 80miles, I could barely turn over 30/27. The other guys from the club helped me back, towing me along the flats and motivating me up the hills.

83miles
5H 37m
14.7mph avg
45.8mph Max
7500 feet of climbing
HRM & GPS tracker saying 4600/4800 calories burnt.

Back