Frame or bits ? what makes the bike ?

I would say the frame makes the bike. I feel a pre ’97 bike with modern parts on it could it be entered into the pre ’97 BOTM. Original parts wear out and everyone upgrades their bikes if they can. Modern forks/ suspension make older bikes handle better and is just a part of the evolution in owning a bike.

A modern frame with retro parts on the other hand would not fit the bill of what BOTM is all about.

When it come to voting for BOTM I rarely if ever vote for a bog stock bike no matter how high end or desirable it is. If someone bought a top of the range bike in ’92, rode it once then after 20 years of storage entered it into BOTM, there is nothing special about it. Anyone could have done that. It has no history, battles scars or nostalgia associated with it, IMO that is what makes a BOTM.

the answer is simple, it is a frame with square tubing. :D
although there are other frames available.
the frame & fork are like the heart & soul of a good bike.
secondly comes the groupset, then the wheels.
just my 2p's worth.

This could be quite a fun thing to so at meets, blind riding.

Of course, falling off feels very much the same regardless of frame material.

:)

MikeD":1polth04 said:
Many years ago either MTB Pro or MBUK put 200GS on a Merlin and XTR on an Emmelle (or similar) to answer this very question. ISTR neither was very satisfactory but the top-end kit was no more able to elevate the gaspipe frame to greatness than the cheap stuff was able to diminish the titanium loveliness ;)
I remember it being MBR, and I recall the verdict being the emmelle with xtr being the choice of the two. Really though, who puts budget on ti, and xtr on scaffold pole steel?

frame, control surfaces (bars and stem mainly), wheels

probably just about in that order.

yeah, my middleburn crank is nicer than an STX, but does it make that much difference out on a ride

probably not

Latest posts

Back