Ibis Bow Ti

I think it looks incredible and has been brought bang up to date with some beautiful craftsmanship on the disc mount!

Fair play for going the extra step on that, must have been economically tempting to send it to someone else.

beepbeep":36tvhr46 said:
Would be interesting to hear about the ride characteristics after you've got it dirty.

It's lovely, very smooth. It's not ever going to be a DH eater even with 5" of travel at the back but it is very capable. Having ridden a few modern bikes over the past few weeks before dropping all my cash on this I will happily say that it holds it's own without the thousands of pivots or the dull thud of carbon. The best bit is that you don't know it's working until you see the extent of the shock movement when you get home. It is a real 'minimum fuss' bike with very little to set up at the back, it just seems to work well straight away.
I used to ride out of the saddle a huge amount but have now found myself spending my entire time sat down and I can honestly say that I am riding longer that I ever did on my hardtails.
Downside -it is flexy in the rear end due to the long stays, it does bob a little and it could use even more travel on the front but none of those are deal breakers. The flex is only noticeable when honking hard out of the saddle and as I mentioned above I try to avoid that as its so comfy to ride sat down, the bob is covered by a modern shock and a lock-out switch, and the travel is just one of those things that my aging body always wants more of....

the_duke":1948llgg said:
I think it looks incredible and has been brought bang up to date with some beautiful craftsmanship on the disc mount!

Fair play for going the extra step on that, must have been economically tempting to send it to someone else.

The option was to have someone like enigma do it for a couple hundred or have John Castellano and Steve Potts both sort it out.

John took the frame, stripped it down, x-rayed it to ensure it was safe without cracks. He then sent it to Steve.
Steve then removed the old bosses so perfectly you'd never know they were there. He then took some paragon hose guides and machined them to sit perfectly on the tubes, he also then welded the mount on. Back to John.
John checked the welds hadn't affected the integrity of the frame, refinished it, faced the headtube and the BB and ensured the alignement was spot on. He then replaced the gimbal and all bushes and finally had Scott Nichol of Ibis provide him with all the NOS decals. Finally he crated it like you would a work of art and shipped it out.

I know it sounds contrived but it's a bit like choosing to have your vintage ferrari serviced by daganaham autos or by Enzo Ferrari himself. No disrespect to enigma but they wouldn't have known (and nor did I) that the frame has three different types of Ti (flex plate, tubes and dropouts) or that no welds should be made on the length of the flex stays and so on.

Yes it was a lot to have it done but I was glad I went that route as I really feel confident in chucking this about without fear!

now that ^ is attention to detail :cool:

take my hat off to you Pete, you definitely did the right thing for a frame such as this.

I am so jealous it hurts!!!

Would sell/do anything for one of these!

I seem to always miss them when they come up for sale!

Very nice sir!

looking great as you say worth every penny when you know whats put in to welding on disc tab and refresh of frame.

I toy with selling mine but know i wont get another so good never really
push to see it gone.

The welding is something else.
dsc00768_137.jpg

my ibis built up
IMG_6694.jpg

some more nice welding on the silk ti as well

DSC00323.jpg

DSC00324.jpg

both amazing bikes :D

Back