Mystery 531 Bike - 'The Campagnolo'

TAssle

Retro Newbie
Yes, it's another "identify this bike" post but, before you bang your head against the screen, wait! This isn't a lazy "please do it for me" post. I've been working away for the last three hours trying to figure out what it is and I'm genuinely stumped!

It's an unbranded Reynolds 531 frame, with Campagnolo gear shifters and front derailleur, a Campagnolo branded stem, Weismann levers & brakes and a Super Custom branded crank. My Dad always referred to it as 'The Campagnolo' and was pretty protective of it back when it was a looker! My brother abused it for a while before retiring it to the back of the shed when the rear derailleur broke. I'm aware he has changed the saddle and seat post.

main.php

I've always thought it was a 'Campagnolo' but lesson one for today has been that Campagnolo make components not bikes! I then assumed that the only marking on the bike (a crest on the seat tube) must be the manufacturers logo and set about trying to match it to a maker, with no luck.

main.php

Turning to the frame number, after some digging I found it matched the format for Raleigh bikes made in Worksop according to Raleigh's wikipedia entry. By their reckoning It is a 1982 model. However I've never come across an unbranded Raleigh bike before (or any pictures of one). They normally seem to have various decals and badges. I also can't find any record of a Raleigh bike made at that time with these components?

Can anyone with a bit of knowledge shed a little light on the 'Campagnolo' for me? Is it indeed a 1982 Raleigh? If so, any idea what model?

Midlife":4y3x6dyu said:
Are those 3 rifles a BSA trademark. Pics of the lugs and seat cluster would help :)

Shaun

ahh you beat me too it, my first helpful post!
... but yes that is a BSA logo ;)

Thanks for the comments!
I take it Raleigh used the BSA logo to decorate their own bikes after acquiring the company and we're not suggesting this is a pre-1950s BSA bike?

It is certainly not a pre 1950 bike. Due to the mounting of the bottlecage which only took place around somerwhere in the 70's withouth clamps, as well as the eyelets on the toprube for cabling, second half of the 70's. To my opinion a bike around at 1977....

Looking at the pics it seems the cable routing for the mechs goes under the BB with the stop for the rear mech under the right hand chainstay......I worked in a bike shop until 1978 and they were just appearing then (cheaper) but took a while to get mainstream..

The cable routing for the rear brake pitches it at probably early 80's

Not sure when BSA died but certainly in the 70's they were seen (like Sun) as a lower brand than Raleigh / Carlton ..

Shaun

.......which ties in with the cable routing as an early 80s frame.

Shaun

That stem looks familiar as something that passed through the raleigh reps in the very late 70's

Not sure why though but desirable.

More pics would help :D

Shaun

Back